Thanksgiving is coming up, and here at Georgetown we have such a geographically diverse population that I decided to see where students stand on some of the age-old Thanksgiving food debates. I had roughly 100 people respond to a survey with their favorites dishes and what is typically served at their tables during the holiday.
Let the Hunger Hungry Games begin!

Thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of Branden Kowitz

Turkey 
Options: White or dark meat
Winner: White meat
This result was almost unanimous. Between the easier pieces to eat, its ability to soak up all that gravy and perhaps the healthier aspect – white meat was the clear winner.

Cranberries
Options: Sauce or jelly
Winner: Sauce
Getting real chucks of cranberries in your sauce sounds more appealing to most than a uniform consistency (and slightly questionable) cranberry jelly.

Thanksgiving

Photo by Wallis Linker, Spoon WashU

Corn
Options: Creamed, loose/canned or cornbread
Winner: It’s a tie!
Cornbread and loose/canned corn tied, with creamed corn a favorite for only a few Hoya households.

Stuffing
Options: Prepared inside or outside of the turkey
Winner: Prepared outside the turkey
Technically if it is prepared on the stove, it is called turkey dressing. This was the winner between the two options, and being made on the stove or oven, you can make more than will fit in a turkey cavity, and the turkey will cook faster. More food and getting to the table faster is definitely the better option.

Thanksgiving

Photo by Mary Mcgrath, Spoon NU

Green beans
Options: Serve them plain or in a casserole
Winner: Just green beans
The simplicity of green beans themselves beats making a casserole for most folks.

Potatoes
Options: Mashed, boiled or baked
Winner: Mashed potatoes
Can you make a perfect gravy volcano out of any other form of potatoes? Didn’t think so.

Thanksgiving

Photo by Rachel Connors, Spoon NU

Adding some color to your plate
Options: Butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots or all of the above
Winner: Sweet Potatoes
Though sweet potatoes were the most popular choice, most Hoyas also have either squash or carrots on their tables as well.

Bread/Carb Choice
Options: Biscuits or rolls
Winner: Biscuits
Buttery and flakey biscuits, always a favorite, prevailed.

Thanksgiving

Photo by Abigail Graham; Spoon UPenn

Pie
Options: Pumpkin, pecan or both
Winner: Both!
I included the ‘Must I choose only one?’ option, since, if you’re anything like me, why limit yourself to one kind of pie (or if you stop by my family’s table, usually three or four)? This was the top choice, with the classic pumpkin pie pulling in second.

Topping it off 
Options: Ice cream or whipped cream
Winner: Ice cream
Although more people preferred ice cream over whipped cream, I believe in the more the merrier and opt for the two.

No matter what you do or don’t eat over the holidays, be thankful for your heaping plate and enjoy the food coma and leftovers that are sure to follow.