Spoon UD recently hosted a cooking event with the school's chapter of Gamma Sigma Sigma. As a member of both organizations, I knew I had to be there.

This event allowed for the Gamma Sigma Sigma girls and several members of Spoon to bond and make apple-themed desserts to celebrate fall. We used apples that we picked ourselves at Milburn Orchards for mini apple pies and caramel apples.

The Mini Apple Pies

pie, bread, pastry
Casey Irwin

We began by dicing our apples and putting them into a huge bowl. This was a communal effort that resulted in more apple pieces than we knew what to do with. The apples were tossed with cinnamon and sugar, a mixture that was so good people were sneaking some out of the bowl.

The Gamma Sig girls were broken down into groups, each one rolling out a piece of pie dough and using a cookie cutter to make circles, which went in a muffin tin. The apple mixture was scooped into the tins and another circle of dough was placed on top of each to make mini versions of the classic apple pie. They turned out adorable and insanely delicious. 

The Caramel Apples

candy, sweet, chocolate, caramel apple, caramel, apple, toffee, cake, doughnut
Casey Irwin

Next on the list were caramel apples, a symbolic fall dessert. We skewered our apples and dunked them into a pool of warm, golden caramel. Then we added toppings galore, including chocolate, M&Ms and sprinkles. The hardest part was taking the apples off of the parchment paper. Let's just say there was a lot of ripping and tearing involved.

One of the best ways to bring people together is through cooking, and this event proved just that. The girls of Gamma Sigma Sigma and Spoon UD were able to bond and create tasty treats in the process. You didn't have to be a master chef to attend this event; all you needed was a couple of apples and some fall spirit. Everyone was proud of their creations, and left that night with full stomachs and new friends.