Infused waters have become a bit of a fad in the dieting world. They are a great way to extract the nutrients from plant substances like fruits and herbs without adding extra sugar or calories. Plus, infusing is an easy and healthy way to add flavor to your plain water.

What you choose to infuse your water with is really up to your individual tastes and what you have available. Once prepared, the infused water can be stored in a refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. If you find yourself running low on the water portion of your infused water, you can always just add more water to your fruit and herb container.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes

Servings: 4

1 cup desired fruit or vegetable
3 tablespoons desired fresh herbs
Water
Honey
Pitcher, jar, or glass for serving and storage

1. Slice fruit or vegetable into bite-size pieces. Mash slightly to release juices.

water

Photo by Kaley French

2. Gently bruise the leaves of herbs with hands.

water

Photo by Kaley French

3. Add all non-water ingredients to pitcher, jar, or glass.

water

Photo by Kaley French

4. Add water to container. Add sweetener to taste. Refrigerate at least one hour to allow all the flavors to infuse.

water

Photo by Kaley French

Favorite fruits or vegetables to use include: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, mangoes, apples, pears, watermelon, kiwi, cantaloupe, honeydew, pomegranate seeds, lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits, and cucumbers.

Common herbs to use include: basil, mint, rosemary, lavender, ginger, cilantro, sage, vanilla bean, cinnamon, and thyme.

Here are some combinations I’ve tried and loved:

1. Cucumber + Strawberry + Thyme

water

Photo by Kaley French

For those who want to detox with sophisticated flavor, this mixture is sure to please.

2. Lemon + Orange + Lime

water

Photo by Kaley French

Citrus fruits are packed with Vitamin C, so this water will boost your immune system as well as your energy levels. Peeling the rind off of these fruits before adding them to your water will rid the mixture of any bitterness you may taste.

3. Strawberry + Lemon + Basil

water

Photo by Kaley French

With the sweetness of strawberry, the tartness of lemon, and the mature earthiness of basil, your mouth is in for a wild ride.

4. Cucumber + Lemon + Mint + Rosemary

water

Photo by Kaley French

Just the smell of this concoction is enough to make your nose feel clean. Drinking it is even more refreshing.

5. Cantaloupe + Honey + Mint

water

Photo by Kaley French

On the sweeter side of the infusion spectrum, this water will satisfy your sweets cravings with none of the guilt.

6. Cucumber + Kiwi

water

Photo by Kaley French

Finally—a green beverage that’s kale-free.

7. Blueberry + Pomegranate + Mint

water

Photo courtesy of Free People

Paired with the cooling sensation of mint, the antioxidants in blueberries and pomegranates will help ward off cancer and improve your memory.

8. Blackberry + Lime + Cilantro + Mint

water

Photo by Kaley French

Have you ever tried the Blackberry Mojito Iced Tea Lemonade at Starbucks? This is its homemade cousin: all the flavor and a mere fraction of the calories.

9. Blackberry + Sage

water

Photo courtesy of Joanna Goddard

Minimalist yet complex. Use this pairing when you need to be focused and productive.

10. Strawberry + Lemon + Ginger

water

Photo by Kaley French

All of these components can help you battle sickness. Together, they make up the triple whammy water. Whether you are sick or not, your body will thank you.

11. Mango + Basil

water

Photo courtesy of Hello Natural

An unusual combination of sweet and savory—perfect for all seasons and any time of day.

12. Cucumber + Mint

water

Photo by Kaley French

Soothing and refreshing, this is what a spa day tastes like. Add honeydew for a little extra sweetness.

13. Lemon + Raspberry

water

Photo by Kaley French

Just the right amount of tart and barely sweet, this drink will leave you energized and craving more.

14. Strawberry + Rosemary

water

Photo by Kaley French

This water is fragrant and simple, leaving your mouth happy and your kitchen smelling wonderful for the rest of the day.

15. Pear + Ginger + Cinnamon + Vanilla Bean

Although this combination may be more suited for the fall, it is satisfying at any time of the year. Infuse in hot tea for a few minutes instead of water for a nighttime dessert on chilly evenings.

16. Watermelon + Mint

water

Photo courtesy of The Pennywise Mama

These two milder flavors pack a powerful punch when added to water. Drink up quickly, or the watermelon will start to break apart.

17. Cucumber + Strawberry + Kiwi + Lime

water

Photo by Kaley French

Summer seems a long way off. If you find yourself in need of a tropical kick to get through the next few months, a sip of this concoction will do the trick. Plain water not beachy enough for you? Substitute coconut water for regular water, and try adding a wedge of pineapple.

For more ways to spice up your water, check out these articles: