In life there are many different "flavors" of friends, just as there are many different flavors of ice cream. As you twist and turn in life, you will find that some are better than others, and you will need certain friends at different times.

Here is your guide to the friends that you will have throughout your life, described by ice cream flavors.

Vanilla Ice Cream

A photo posted by - Emberlynn - (@emmy_seoul) on

This is the friend that you know you once had, but is not super memorable. They come into your mind as a fleeting memory, but never really left a huge impact on your life.

These friends are the ones that are always there but never fully contribute to the madness going on around you and your besties. But, just as apple pie isn't the same without vanilla ice cream, your life is not the same without your vanilla friends.

Coffee Ice Cream

This friend is the one that is always full of energy. Coffee friends are always the one you call when you want to go on a crazy adventure at three in the morning. Everybody needs one, everybody knows one, but not everyone can keep up with them.

Sometimes you need to take a step back and realize that you need sleep, but they are definitely the friend you call when everyone else is asleep because you are planning a last minute trip to the beach.

Rocky Road Ice Cream

This is the "hot mess" friend who will call you at 3:00 am drunk in hysterical tears. They are the friend who is fun while you are out, but when things go downhill there's no stopping them.

Rocky road friends are the ones with the best stories, and will make the drama in your life seem small. They are eccentric characters that add more flavor in your life.

Matcha Ice Cream

A photo posted by мαχ (@m4xms) on

Everyone has that friend that takes Instagram pictures everywhere they go. They are the epitome of matcha ice cream because you rarely see a matcha product that's not having a picture taken of it.

If they are going out to dinner you have to spend a little bit more time on your appearance, because you know that you will be subject to an Insta photo-shoot once you get there. These are the friends that you text for an Insta caption when you are just all out of ideas.

Strawberry Ice Cream 

A photo posted by Mint (@mylittlemints) on

A strawberry friend is the "friend of a friend." You get along when you are in group settings, but the second you are alone it begins to get uncomfortable. You would never text to ask to hang out individually, but you appreciate their company when you are out in large groups. Even though you now chill in awkward silences whenever your mutual friend disappears, you may grow to love them.

You would never text to ask to hang out individually, but you appreciate their company when you are out in large groups. Even though you now chill in awkward silences whenever your mutual friend disappears, you may grow to love them.

Birthday Cake Ice Cream

The birthday cake friend always manages to make every life event a reason to party. Whether it be that they passed their midterm, got a pet, or their crush smiled at them, they always find a reason to celebrate.

This friend seems to have an obsession with partying, but you are always the first to go when you have good news and want to celebrate. When you need a friend to celebrate your birthday, the birthday cake friend is the one you gotta call.

Lavender Ice Cream

Your lavender friend is your artsy friend. You can often find these friends traveling to the Metropolitan Museum, or at the new brunch place they found on Yelp. They are up to date on all of the latest trends, and are even starting their own. They are adventurous, and are the first to tell you when your old boots are out of style.

Chocolate Ice Cream

This is the friend that you can always rely on, they can get you through the rocky roads and matchas of the world. They have been with you through everything, and always have your back. While you may try to venture out into another flavor, you will always end up with a nice chocolate ice cream. When you find one of these friends, hold onto them tight.

So, while you are going through life navigating the various types of friends you may encounter, always remember that there are good and bad friends in the world, just as there are good and bad ice cream flavors. Sometimes you have to eat the strawberry and vanilla in a Neapolitan ice cream to get to the chocolate.