A healthy diet can have a positive effect on your skin’s health. What we put into our body is directly linked to skin health. Good or bad, the first signs show up on the skin. Our cleanliness and hygiene goes a long way but when food is not healthy, it will certainly show up on your skin. Eating certain foods can help clear up your skin and give it a healthier, prettier tone.  

Anti-Aging

melon, watermelon, sweet, vegetable, salad, cantaloupe, berry
Leah Valenti

Prevent premature skin aging by eating anti-aging foods. Sure, you have great skin now, but will you when you're 50? The number one key to fighting wrinkles and having healthier looking skin is your diet. Anti-aging fruits such as watermelons and blueberries are a must-eat for anyone looking to fight Father Time. Watermelons contain antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, while blueberries have that amazing Vitamin C. A great recipe to try where you can digest both of these fruits would be a great melon bowl.

Glowing Skin

avocado, sweet, vegetable, nut
Emma Delaney

Much can be said for what good, healthy fats can do for our skin. Avocado is not only a good fat, it is a delicious one at that! An excellent source of biotin, a B-complex vitamin that aids in the synthesis of fatty acids, as well as Vitamin E, a nutrient that is key to improving the skin’s health. One of the greatest parts about avocados is that they can be used externally. Applied directly on your skin as a face mask provides even more benefits. Avocados aid in preventing dry skin and because they contain fatty acids, this helps in replenishing the skin’s natural protective barrier. Even better, avocados can be used on all skin types, from the driest to the most sensitive.

Collagen Boosting

greens, Leafy, Veggie, Vegetables, turnips, Market
Caroline Ingalls

We all know that leafy greens are wonderful for the health, but you will surely be surprised to know that these vegetables provide the body with a pro-collagen substance that is known as lutein. Daily consumption of leafy greens will have positive effects on the hydration as well as elasticity of the skin.

Inflammation

sushi, salmon, sashimi, fish, seafood, rice, tuna, meat, wasabi

Think salmon, mackerel, herring, trout, and tuna– anything with high concentrations of omega 3 fatty acids. Not only are omega 3s one of many anti-inflammatory foods, but they can help ward off diseases tied to inflammation like arthritis, lupus, and IBS. Omega 3s can even help treat mental health issues like bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety.

Skin Tightening

chocolate, cake
Cara Waterman

As we grow old, our skin starts losing its natural elasticity, which leads to sagging. Egg whites are rich in the protein albumin and can improve the skin’s elasticity to a great extent. It also helps in rebuilding the skin cells and imparting a natural glow. Honey locks in the moisture in your skin and also rejuvenates it with its antioxidants. This is one of the sure shot home remedies for tightening skin. Mix the two together and now you have an amazing face mask! 

Acne-Fighting

mint, herb, vegetable, relish
Ellen Gibbs

Peppermint is great for acne and we all know it! It is great internally and externally and works even better when it is used both ways simultaneously. Peppermint has a cooling effect on the skin, has antibacterial and anti-fungal action. It also keeps the stomach clean, thus keeping your skin clear! Apply it as a mask and drink peppermint tea for best results. 

Your face and body always react to what you're putting into yourself, so if you are taking in healthy, delicious food it will show. If you ever wonder why you are constantly breaking out in a certain area, there is a justification. Just remember when all else fails, water is your best friend.