Winter is a great time to cozy up for movie nights and watch the first snow-fall on campus. But, this season also calls for late-night studying in the library and freezing weather.  All you want when it feels like -10 degrees (and when you're grinding out that ten page paper in the library) is a bowl of your grandma's homemade chili to warm you up! Winter may be cold and depressing, especially when you're away at college, but making these easy and fun foods and drinks will warm you right up and put you in the winter spirit! I know I wouldn't survive the cold without these 6 comforting dishes, so give 'em a try!

1. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

This one is a must! Nothing compares to a gooey grilled cheese and warm tomato soup on a chilly day. This delicious combination tastes good during every season, but winter takes this dish to a whole new level.  A definite must-have since it will leave you feeling full and warm.

2. Chai Tea

The cold weather hasn’t officially started without at least one chai tea. Tea is a great drink to warm you up AND provides an extra boost of energy for those sleepy, cold days. To add to that, chai tea is especially good for getting in the winter spirit because it includes a combination of spices, such as cinnamon and cardamom, that we often associate with the fall and winter.

3. Oatmeal

This delicious breakfast dish is a great way to brighten any winter morning. If you find yourself rushing when you wake up, a bowl of microwavable oatmeal with some fruit, peanut butter, or nuts on top is a quick and healthy way for college students to start their day. Oatmeal is tasty and great for those foggy winter mornings!

4. Chili

Talk about CHILLY.  Nothing warms you up on a cold day like a nice bowl of cheesy chili.  Chili is perfect because you can incorporate so many ingredients into the dish or just leave it plain! However you decorate your bowl, chili will 100% make you feel toasty and remind you that winter can be awesome.

5. Warm Cookies

Have a sweet tooth and are dying for a comforting and warm dessert? Cookies are the best because they are extremely easy to make and satisfy your sweet tooth craving! You can even add certain ingredients or decorations to your batch to get you into the winter spirit! Check out this recipe for the most delicious pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, which are perfect for winter. Even better, at Bucknell University we have a local store, Salty and Baked, that will deliver freshly baked and warm cookies to your dorm!

6. Your Favorite Comfort Food

I know I can’t resist a warm bowl of mac and cheese. Whether you drool over spaghetti and meatballs or are in love with the nostalgic PB&J, your favorite comfort food is a great way to feel happier on a cloudy day. Eating the one dish that makes you happy on a day when you're stressed will for sure make you smile and feel better.