With finals quickly approaching, everyone's nerves are skyrocketing. But did you know some foods are scientifically proven to lower stress levels? While comfort foods may temporarily make you feel better, these foods reduce stress and will actually calm you down so you'll be able to focus and study. 

Blueberries

Next time you're stressed, one of the best snacks you can grab is a pack of blueberries.  Blueberries are rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C that fight to protect your cells and improve your body's response to stress. 

Salmon

Salmon is so great for your stress, you should try to eat salmon twice during finals week! The omega-3 fatty acids in salmon have anti-inflammatory properties that can counteract the negative effects of stress hormones and adrenaline to make you feel calm. 

Cashews

I love nuts so I was very happy to learn that one of my favorites is so good at fighting stress! Cashews are an excellent source of zinc; in fact, a 1 oz serving contains 11% of your recommended daily amount. High zinc levels are known to combat anxiety and depression, so reach for those cashews during finals. 

Avocados

avocado, guacamole, vegetable
Rebecca Holstein

Avocados have quickly become one of the most popular foods around the world. They are delicious and healthy and fight stress too! Avocados are high in Vitamin B, which we need to keep our nerves and brain cells healthy. 

Yogurt

Yogurt is a great food to eat when you are stressed. It is full of calcium and protein which is great for while you're studying. And a recent study shows yogurt may even reduce brain activity in the part of your brain that handles emotion, including stress. Top it with some blueberries or nuts to fight your stress even more!

Dark chocolate

Chocoholics, listen up! Dark chocolate has the ability to regulate your stress hormones, including cortisol. Chocolate is known to improve your mood, which leads to more effective studying. Maybe indulging in a little chocolate during your studies isn't so bad after all!  

Spinach

spinach, vegetable, salad, lettuce, basil, relish, herb
Kristine Mahan

Yet another health benefit for one of your favorite greens! This leafy green is packed with magnesium, which helps regulate stress hormones and promotes feelings of wellbeing. So be sure to eat your greens during finals!

Milk

cereal, milk, pouring milk, bowl of cereal, Cheerios, breakfast

While milk may not support for your bones much, it's still an excellent drink to reduce stress. Milk is high in antioxidants and the protein lactium, which lowers blood pressure and relieves muscle tensions triggered by tense feelings, thus causing you to be more relaxed. 

Turkey

Ever felt sleepy after a Thanksgiving turkey dinner? That's because turkey contains the amino acid tryptophan, which causes the brain to release serotonin, which promotes calmness. A simple turkey sandwich might be one of the best meals you can have to calm your nerves during finals.

Pistachios

nut, pistachio, meat, vegetable, apricot pits, almond, hazelnut
Lucy Bedewi

Pistachios are a great snack to have while studying. Several studies have found that they lower stress levels by reducing the stress on your heart. Furthermore, the act of doing something with your hands, like shelling pistachios, can be therapeutic and give a sense of control, calming you down. 

Oatmeal

porridge, rice, oatmeal, sweet, milk
Christin Urso

Oatmeal is the perfect breakfast on the day of a final. Oatmeal signals for your brain to produce serotonin, which makes you feel good and helps you overcome stress. Oatmeal is also packed with fiber so you'll be sharp during your whole exam.

Tea

tea
Mackenzie Huggins

In a recent study, tea drinkers were found to de-stress faster and had lower stress levels than people who did not drink tea. When you're feeling stressed before an exam be sure to grab a cup of tea to calm you down. But, be sure to grab a soothing herbal tea, not a caffeinated one that revs stress responses!

Next time you need a study snack, look into one of these to fill you up and calm you down. Finals can be a stressful time, but with these great foods, you'll be ready to accomplish anything.