All holidays are awesome, but holidays that revolve around food are on a completely different level. Believe it or not, some holidays are only about food. National Doughnut Day, National Pizza Day, and even crazier holidays like National Nutella Day exist by proclamation of the President of the United States. Believe it or not, there is an American food holiday on almost every single day of the year. The following is a list of some of our favorite food holidays and how you can celebrate in Ann Arbor.

November 9: National Cook Something Bold and Pungent Day

holiday

Photo courtesy of honestlyyum.com

95 air max
One of the more unique food holidays during the year, National Cook Something Bold and Pungent Day is the perfect excuse to waste some time throwing together an experimental dish in the kitchen. Spend your lazy Sunday making something delicious, like one of these great toasts.

November 16: National Fast Food Day

holiday

Photo by Annie Madole

The government isn’t supposed to encourage us to eat greasy, fried fast food, right? Well this one day the President is encouraging the American people to take down a Big Mac or a Baconator. There may not be a better reason to eat unhealthy than that. If you’re like me and not a fan of any of the national fast food chains, try one of these Ann Arbor greasy spoons where you’re also likely to consume your daily allotment of calories in one sitting.

November 29: National Chocolates Day and National Lemon Crème Pie Day

holiday

Photo courtesy of cakejournal.com

How they could ever put both of these dessert holidays on the same day, I don’t know. You’ll probably have to choose which one to celebrate. Given that it is probably a lot easier to find chocolate in Ann Arbor than Lemon Crème Pie, I suggest you celebrate your love of all things chocolate. Head to one of Ann Arbor’s many chocolatiers like Sweet Gem Confectionaries or even just Kilwin’s. Want to make an educated decision on which chocolate to celebrate with, read some Spoon U Chocolate 101.

December 6: National Microwave Day

holiday

Photo by Alex Weiner

The microwave isn’t a food, but it still gets categorized as a food holiday given its importance in our daily cooking lives. Easy Mac isn’t the proper way to celebrate this appliance. Spice things up by trying a slightly more difficult and satisfying microwave creation like real mac ‘n’ cheese in a mug.

December 18: National Roasted Suckling Pig Day

holiday

Photo from Chow.com

free nike wallpapers
Few dishes signal special occasion like a whole roasted suckling pig. If you’re still in Ann Arbor struggling through exams, treat yourself to a nice whole roasted suckling pig from Aventura to celebrate the holiday. Remember, restaurants need time to prepare whole pigs, so be sure to call at least 24 hours ahead to order this special pig.

A full list of all food holidays can be found at The Nibble.