Here at Cal, stress is the norm and having the cold is twice as common. During RRR week and finals week, however, falling sick is disastrous. Cramming a semester’s worth of coursework within a week (or, let’s face it, more like half a week) is already pretty daunting. Doing that while battling an illness is near impossible!

Nevertheless, you can ease those flu fears, for Spoon has your back with these easily-accessible foods that combat common sicknesses!

Cold

Got the sniffles? Have some spicy food! It is proven that spicy food thins out mucus and clears nasal congestion. For a quick fix, stop by Mount Everest Restaurant on Telegraph Ave. or grab some spicy salsa from Trader Joe’s, and you’re good to go!

flu

Photo by Michelle Lin

Headache

Not only is spinach a great hangover cure, but it has also been shown to relieve migraines. Just be sure not to overcook it, as that removes its nutrients and evaporates its water content.

Not a fan of leafy greens? Just have some almonds. They relax your muscles and blood vessels, while stimulating serotonin, the ultimate feel-good hormone!

flu

Photo by Smita Jain

Diarrhea

Strong black tea can be the blockade between you and the constant urge to visit the bathroom. The tannin in this soothing drink decreases intestinal activity, thus producing an antidiarrheal effect. (Trust me; it worked on Thailand street food-induced diarrhea.)

flu

Photo by Michelle Lin

Constipation

Conversely, if you are completely unable to do a deuce, have some coffee! America’s favorite beverage can stimulate colonic movement and help your body get those stools out. A word of caution– too much coffee (more than two cups), will dehydrate your body and increase constipation, instead.

flu

Photo by Mira Nguyen

Nausea/Vomiting

All that studying can cause extreme discomfort for the tummy. Fret not, for ginger has your back. This medicinal plant helps break up and expel intestinal gas, so just add some to your tea or meal!

flu

Photo by Smita Jain

Sore Throat

Besides the traditional honey-lemon combination, you can drive away sore throats with eggs! Yes, eggs. Your eyes do not deceive you. These protein-filled wonders are easy on the throat and fight inflammation, regardless of how you like them cooked!

flu

Photo by Michelle Lin

With these flu-fighters on hand, you’ll be able to conquer those finals, sick or well.

More good stuff here: