If you're a vegan or vegetarian, chances are the first question you get asked is: well, where do you get your protein from? The truth is, there are so many great, whole sources of plant-based protein out there! Although it might be a little more challenging than shopping in the meat section at your local grocery store, you'll find that there are ways to increase your protein intake daily through swaps and tasty additions. Here are some of the ways I prioritize protein on every plate:

Swap traditional pasta for lentil or bean pasta. 

I love pasta, but not the way I feel after I eat it. Using pasta made from chickpeas, black beans, or lentils offers a more macro-balanced alternative than carbo-rich wheat pasta. These protein-rich alternatives, which can offer up to 20g of plant-based protein per serving, taste similar to traditional wheat pastas! 

When you're shopping for protein pastas, look closely at the ingredients. You ideally want pastas that are made from as little "fillers" (i.e. starches and gums) as possible to maximize your protein intake. If you're a vegan, you also want to check and make sure there are no egg ingredients! 

Get creative with salad additions. 

Salads and bowls provide a great base for you to add your favorite toppings. Additions like chickpeas, edamame, sautéed mushrooms, nuts, tempeh, and broccoli can boost both the taste profile of your dish and its protein content. 

Incorporate dips to your snack-time routine. 

sweet, almond butter, apples, Nut butter, almonds, spread, Crunchy
Julia Gilman

Hummus and peanut butter are two of my favorite snack complements! Hummus truly goes with everything- carrots, celery, pita, and even apples! I also start almost every morning with powdered peanut butter and banana on a rice cake, so you could say I'm also a fan of anything nutty! If you're shopping for dips, try to go for ones with simpler ingredients and without the hydrogenated oils, sugars, or preservatives. I grind my own peanut butter at the store and make my own hummus with chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and spices. 

Many of these dips carry a lot of extra calories, so be mindful of your portions. I find that I tend to be more aware of how much dip I'm using when I'm not eating it straight out of the container. Because hummus and peanut butter are also high in protein and fat, you'll find that you'll feel fuller sooner. 

Prioritize whole foods on your plate. 

While there are a lot of diagrams on the internet for how you should portion your plate with protein, fruits/veggies, and starches, I've found that the best, healthiest way to organize my meals are around whole foods of all types. This means dedicating some portion of my meal to protein: tofu, tempeh, beans/legumes, or seitan. I complement these proteins with veggies, sauces, and whole starches (i.e. roasted potatoes). 

It's also important to make sure you're eating protein at all meals-including breakfast! While we Americans sure do love our bagels and breakfast pastries, over-eating refined carbohydrates can lead to feelings of tiredness, sluggishness, and food cravings later on in the day. Set yourself up for success by adding some plant-protein powder to your breakfast shake or opting for peanut butter instead of margarine on your toast. 

Substitute refined grains for whole or sprouted grains. 

cereal, wheat, pasture, oat, oatmeal, barley, hands, handful, handful of oats, grain, Rolled oats

Whole grains, like quinoa, farro, whole wheat, and oats keep the entire seed intact while refined grains only retain the starchy parts of the seed. When grains are refined, they lose much of their protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Although the refining process delivers a pretty piece of white bread or bag of white flour, it doesn't deliver much in the way of protein. 

You can opt to purchase whole grains or sprouted grains instead of refined grains to increase your protein intake. Sprouted grains have more bioavailable nutrients because the seed has entered the early stages of breaking down its seed coat to mature into a full plant. Sprouted grains have less carbohydrate content and more fiber, potassium, and vitamins that our bodies can consume.