Everyone knows going to the grocery store can be a royal pain. Going down each aisle and getting the same food every single time becomes a chore and it gets boring. What can be more exciting and fun than a farmers market? It’s time to spice up your pantry and support local farmers by heading to your town or city’s local farmers market. Learn which products are in season, how they are made and how your neighborhood can support the farmers in your community. Here is a list of farmers markets in these five cities across the country that you should consider investing your time in.

1. New York City

From Union Square Greenmarket to the Grand Army Plaza Greenmarket, NYC has a plethora of local markets and bodegas to choose from. Another market in a prime Manhattan location is The Chelsea Down to Earth Farmers Market is open on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is on the sidewalk on 23rd St off 9th Avenue. The vendors come from all over the tristate area, including upstate New York and central New Jersey. One vendor is 123Dough, an organic sourdough bread vendor that makes their breads only using three ingredients! 

2. Chicago

Located in the center of the Loop, the weekly seasonal city market at Daley Plaza is Chicago’s longest running farmer’s market, according to the Chicago Loop Alliance. This market runs from the end of May to the middle of October and takes place every Thursday from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is known for bringing more than 70 vendors together selling fruits, vegetables, plants and flowers. To see the schedule of other local farmers markets in the city, click here.

3. Madison

Located right at the Wisconsin State Capitol, the Dane County Farmers Market unites the students and residents of Madison every Saturday on the square starting at 6:15 a.m. From summer sausage to cheese curds, this market offers a variety of produce, houseplants, dairy and bread all from the Dane County area. This weekend’s fresh products are the aged cheddar and chicken eggs. Get them before they’re gone!

4. Los Angeles

Los Angeles is a big city filled with many neighborhoods and towns, so there are a ton of farmers markets depending on the area of L.A. you are in. From the Melrose and Flower District Farmers Markets to the Beverly Hills Farmers Market, each market is unique in their selection, hours and vendors.

5. Seattle

Seattle is known for its Pike Place Market, a historic market that remains important to the downtown community of Seattle. With that comes the Pike Place Express Farmers Market, which allows farmers to bring their seasonal fruits, vegetables and value-added products like beef jerky to residents and workers. There are three Express Farmers Markets returning to Pike Place: the South Lake Union Farmers Market, the City Hall Farmers Market and the First Hill Farmers Market.