This Family Weekend, it's time to get away from the endless wait at the usual restaurants in favor of something new. Get ready to impress your family with these six restaurants that will get their taste buds watering.

Tired of going to the same restaurants as everyone else and their families during Family Weekend and want to impress the 'rents with your new ~adult~ tastes? Look no further! Here are some restaurants to look into for reservations during Wake Forest University's Family Weekend.

Jeffery Adams on Fourth

Mareesa Ahmad

Genre: American

Jeffery Adams is located in right in the middle of the action in downtown Winston-Salem. But, inside, it delivers a cozy fireside atmosphere. It's the perfect place to go if you are looking for mouthwatering American classics, such as steak, maple bourbon glazed salmon, and fried chicken. Those craving something a little different might find themselves gravitating toward their iconic gouda mac and cheese, pumpkin risotto, or the smoked bacon crab dip. Parents and those of age will also certainly appreciate their craft cocktails and extensive wine list. Jeffery Adams is certainly a crowd pleaser and worth a visit for any family, no matter what food trends they fancy. 

Personal Recommendation: the ahi tuna and smoked gouda mac and cheese.

Mission Pizza Napoletana

Grace McNeill

Genre: Italian

If you're a die hard Neapolitan pizza fan, Mission Pizza is the place for you. The flavorful dough perfectly pairs with a variety of cheeses and toppings that make you want to kiss your fingers and say "mama mia!" Not a pizza fan? No problem. They also have some to-die-for pastas and a vegetable plate that your parents won't have to twist your arm for you to eat. It's a more casual, and yet, delicious atmosphere for Family Weekend. 

Personal Recommendation: the Veg plate and the Diavola pizza.

Alma Mexicana

Bella Caponiti

Genre: Mexican

Owned and operated by the same people that brought you the Porch Kitchen and Cantina, they created this more upscale and urban Mexican restaurant: Alma Mexicana. It's located across from Wake Downtown, so students can show off Wake's fancy new digs over an evening of unique Mexican creations. I personally recommend going tapas style since everything on their menu is so tempting that you wont want to commit to just one or two things. If the weather is nice, make sure to sit outside and enjoy the view of the park. Parents will also be impressed with their colorful and fun cocktail menu.

Personal Recommendation: the queso de bro, the el marino tuna ceviche, and the flatas popanas.... but seriously, you really can't go wrong here.

The Katherine Brasserie

SEANNE CASEY

Genre: French

Located at the bottom of the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel, the Katherine is the place to be if you're looking for a real pinkies-up, swanky vibe to impress the 'rents. Cheese lovers shouldn't miss their artisanal cheese board. For those old enough, they also have an exquisite selection of hand-crafted cocktails that will go above and beyond quenching your thirst. Their dinner menu is certainly impressive as well, with french classics like steak frites and French onion soup as well as North Carolina trout and grilled bone-in pork chop. Already have reservations elsewhere? I recommend stopping by before dinner for an appetizer or two because the atmosphere alone makes the Katherine worth a visit.

Personal Recommendation: pappardelle pasta and fried brussels sprouts.

Spring House

SEANNE CASEY

Genre: Southern

If your tastebuds are craving a little southern cuisine, then check out the Spring House. You do go to school in the south after all, so you might as well check out what true Southern cooking tastes like during Family Weekend. Located in an old house on the outskirts of downtown, you'll feel right at home here, especially with their truly unique breads and spreads sampler. You can mix and match a variety of spreads to your liking, such as the honey bacon jam and the sun dried tomato & EVOO tapenade.

On the lighter side, another Southern classic that simply cannot be passed up is the grilled shrimp, watermelon, and feta salad. It's the perfect palate cleanser before moving on to the bacon crusted pork chop or the pan roasted salmon and shrimp risotto. Seating is offered outside as well as in various rooms throughout the house, but no matter where you eat, the atmosphere is so thick with southern hospitality that you could cut it with a knife, perhaps the one you used to slather butter all over your cornbread.

Personal Recommendation: the pan roasted wild mushrooms and the fried NC trout with collard kimchi.

Mozelle's

Sophie Bellomy

Genre: Southern/Brunch

Okay, okay. I know I've given you a lot to salivate over for dinner, but what about brunch? Mozelle's southern fair with a twist will certainly set you up for the long day of tailgating with your parents that you've got ahead of you. They offer a fabulous dinner as well, but it is their brunches that have a special place in my heart. Their eggs benedict will change you as a person, I'm convinced, along with the amazing "go back to bed sandwich?" Well, there are no words in the english language that can do this creation credit. If you're in the mood to spice up your morning, order a Bloody Mary or a round of mimosas.

If breakfast isn't your thing, you can still order off their regular menu, so you don't feel like you're getting the short end of the stick with a small menu that will leave you hungry. 

Personal Recommendation: the "go back to bed sandwich" (duh), southern spring rolls, and fried chicken with mac and cheese, green beans, and peach chutney.

Wake Forest University's chapter of Spoon University loves to support local restaurants because Winston has so many restaurants worth exploring. This Family Weekend, give these places a try and see what we have to offer in terms of southern, casual, or luxurious food and drinks.