Whether you’re health conscious, have dietary restrictions, or just hate spending $20 on airport snacks, this one’s for you. Were you even aware that you can bring your own food on a plane? I wasn’t, and it indeed changed my life. As someone who’s going to be taking an 8 hour flight to Italy in two months, this was extremely valuable information. Here are some tips to refer back to before your next flight so you don’t have to wave goodbye to your freshly packed meal and valuable Tupperware container.

plane

Photo courtesy of NBC Chicago

First and foremost, all liquids or gel-like substances you bring in your carry on need to be less than 3.4 ounces; yes, that includes salad dressing, yogurt, soup, and even salsa or other creamy spreads. For my health nuts out there who use food scales, this is a no-brainer. However, if you’re new to weighing your food, check out this short Youtube video. You can also opt for pre-packaged snack options that are under 3.4 oz. For example, my go-to health conscious snack yet satisfying snack of the moment are bite sized bagel crisps topped with a laughing cow wedge. Easy to make, easy to transport, and already measured out for you to take on a plane. It’s a win win win.

plane

Photo courtesy of imatravelninja.com

#SpoonTip: Don’t forget, alcohol is a liquid. You heard me. You’ll probably save an average of $5 per nip of alcohol by bringing them with you rather than ordering booze on the plane. All you have to do is put your nips in a clear, 1 quart Ziploc bag, put it in your bin and run it through the scanner! Order your favorite complementary mixer (or chaser) on your flight and ‘voila.

plane

Photo courtesy of travel.aarp.org

All solid foods brought must be wrapped or boxed in a container and then x-rayed when going through security. For example, if you decide to bring a turkey wrap on your flight, make sure it is wrapped in saran wrap and packaged tightly (preferably in a clear container so you won’t have problems going through security). It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to bringing your food on a flight! You don’t want all your hard work of preparing your food to go to waste.

plane

Photo courtesy of news.com.au

Now, coming from a passenger’s standpoint, there are some foods that you may want to avoid bringing on your flight. No one wants to be stuck next to the guy with the tuna fish sandwich (even though tuna is good – and good for you!) And nothing is worse getting stuck next to the gassy guy. Try avoiding foods that:

Here you have it. Make good food choices, follow these easy guidelines, be sure to double check the TSA prohibited list, and munch away.