This past weekend, I went to Indofest 2024: Harmoni Nusantara, hosted by PERMIAS Los Angeles. Indofest is an exciting event showcasing Indonesian culture through Indonesian food and musical performances. There were countless food vendors and engaging cultural performances, as well as a headline performance from singer Stephanie Poetri. 

As someone who isn’t Indonesian, I was excited to learn more about Indonesian culture and try new foods! Here’s everything I ate. 

Disclaimer: I did not catch the names of some of the foods I tried, so I attempted to do my research through various online sources. I sincerely apologize if any information is incorrect; please let me know if it is and I will fix it. 

Sate Ayam/Chicken Skewers 

Diane Zhou
Diane Zhou

Before we even got to the vendor, we could smell the aromatic meat. It was freshly grilled right in front of us and the smell wafted over. The chicken was tender and juicy and had a slightly charred flavor. It was salty yet savory, subtly sweet, and full of flavor. It was served with this creamy salty and sweet peanut sauce that added a complex nutty flavor to the dish. The sate also came with pickled cucumbers, which were tangy and crunchy, and ketupat, which is a rice cake. Its sticky, packed texture complements the juicy chicken and provides base to soak up all the flavors of the chicken. 

Nasi Goreng Kambing/Lamb Indonesian Fried Rice

Diane Zhou

Next was the nasi goreng, or fried rice. Based on my research, what sets apart Indonesian fried rice is kecap manis, which is a sweet soy sauce that caramelizes the rice when it cooks and gives it a dark brown color. I could taste that; it had a subtle sweetness to offset the savory. The caramelization of the rice added yet another layer of flavor. The lamb was tender and I could tell it had been marinated before because it was packed with flavor. This was served with sliced cucumbers and cabbage, which provided a hint of crunchy freshness in between bites!

Donat Kentang/Potato Donuts 

Diane Zhou
Diane Zhou

Both the donuts and pancakes were sold at the same booth and made fresh by the vendors. Based on my research, these are made from a combination of flour and mashed potatoes. This added a light and almost crumbly yet fluffy texture which I appreciated. With a dusting of powdered sugar, this was subtly sweet and I enjoyed it. 

Serabi Pandan/Pandan Pancakes

Diane Zhou

When we met Stephanie Poetri, she recommended we try these, and they were amazing. The pancakes were soft and fluffy. The bright green color from the pandan is pretty to look at, and the naturally sweet taste with its subtle grassy and almost vanilla hints made them taste as good as they looked. Based on my research, the sauce that it’s served with is known as “kinca,” which is made from coconut milk and palm sugar. This caramelized, sugary coconut flavor paired perfectly with the pandan pancakes! 

Teh Botol/Indonesian Jasmine Tea Drink

Diane Zhou

Teh Botol is a jasmine tea drink made by PT Sinar Sosro. It preserves the jasmine flavor while adding sweetness. It was a perfect, refreshing drink to complement all the food we were eating. Personally, I think the juice box style makes it more fun to drink!

Overall, this was such a fun event and a great opportunity to try many new and delicious foods. I will definitely be on the lookout for next year’s Indofest. Thank you to Permias LA for hosting and organizing!