Once in a while, those who love to travel become restless while abroad. There’s often one particular reason for each traveler’s restlessness. It might be the scenery, the people, the history, the language or the fifteen-hour-long flight (God forbid). For me, it’s always the food.

Food defines a place. Needless to say, all I can remember from my trip to Taiwan is the smell of late night food in food markets. When people talk about the Opera House in Vienna, all I can think about is the chocolate layers in the Sachertorte I bought in the café behind it. As for London, I can vividly describe the goat milk ice cream in Covent Garden, even though I can only vaguely recall what Westminster looked like. I honestly don’t know why, but perhaps this is how the mind of a foodie works.

As a food lover who can’t stand staying in one place for more than six months, I recommend Europe to all my fellow foodie travelers, and here are the reasons why:

1. Your glass of juice is natural, locally produced and most likely made from freshly picked fruits.

Europe

Photo by Anastasia Yip

What’s better than a glass of apple juice to start your day? I’m pretty sure apples from South Bohemia taste better than additives and artificial sweeteners.

2. Europeans do bread and pastries right.

Europe

Photo by Anastasia Yip

Europe

Photo by Anastasia Yip

Apple strudels, croissants, cannolis, bear claws…you name it. Not only do they tempt you with their buttery scent, but they also entice you with their balance of crispiness and softness. Case in point: this Slovak Czech rolled pastry. Trdelnik is heaven twisted into a cylindrical shape.

3. Seafood is Europeans’ forte.

Europe

Photo by Anastasia Yip

Europe

Photo by Anastasia Yip

While the quality of fish’n’chips in England varies, most Europeans know their seafood. Major cities are often situated next to rivers or coastal areas, which translates into century-old recipes and the best ingredients.

4. Tartar—amazingly good tartar.

Europe

Photo by Anastasia Yip

It’s the perfect example of how seasoning can make all the difference. Seriously, who would imagine mixing raw beef with a raw egg and garlic? Thank God for making the French such great chefs.

So, my fellow food-loving travelers, if you haven’t decided your next destination yet, take my word and go to Europe this summer!