As the leaves change colors, apple orchards open, and the smell of pumpkin spice fills the air, people from all over are hoping to embrace the fall season with a variety of seasonal eats and drinks.

Autumn is known for foods such as pumpkins, pecans, apples, veggies like squash, beets, and kale, and of course, pumpkin spice lattes. Although the flavor of pumpkin spice may seem overly typical and basic, the item only appears once a year, for only a month; therefore, people should engage with its sweetness and spiciness for that period of time.

There are a number of restaurants and cafes where one can find carefully created fall-themed dishes and drinks. Additionally, there are so many fall recipes you can make at home. On a chilly night in, a bowl of butternut squash soup—with a pumpkin spice candle burning and Taylor Swift’s most recent Midnights album playing softly in the background—can fulfill one’s craving for a fall treat.

#1: Jeni's Pumpkin Cake Roll Ice Cream

This limited edition and delicious ice cream flavor from Jeni's includes a sweet heirloom pumpkin ice cream twisted with spiced sweet cream cheese and pieces of cake mixed in. The sweetness of the cream cheese and cake combined with the savory elements of pumpkin creates the perfect ice cream flavor for the season.

#2: Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut squash soup brings about a sense of comfort with its light and savory qualities in a way that's perfect for fall. A simple yet delicious butternut squash recipe follows:

- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

- 1 chopped large yellow onion

- ½ teaspoon sea salt

- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed

- 2 chopped garlic cloves

- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

- 3-4 cups vegetable broth

- Ground black pepper

- Top with sage leaves

Instructions: 

1.) Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and fresh pepper and sauté until soft, 5-8 minutes. Add the squash and cook until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. 

2.) Add the garlic and ginger. Stir for 1 minute, then add 3 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the squash is tender, 20-30 minutes. 

3.) Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. If your soup is too thick, you can slowly add more broth and blend until the consistency is to your liking. Season to taste and serve with crispy sage leaves (crisp in a pan with 1 tablespoon of EVOO). 

Daisy Kaplan

#3: Folk Art's Maple Pecan Pancakes

This fluffy breakfast item consists of cinnamon and pecan pancakes topped with a drizzle of maple syrup, cinnamon glaze, and pecans. An iced coffee with almond milk paired perfectly with these warm pancakes, creating a fulfilling breakfast after a night out.

Daisy Kaplan

#4: Peasant's Butternut Squash, Kale, and Pepitas Agnolotti

This pasta was by far one of the most flavorful dishes I have ever eaten and is completely synonymous with fall. Found in a classic Italian New York City restaurant called Peasant, this perfect dish created by Chef Marc Forgione includes fresh ingredients such as squash, black kale, and pepitas. Each pillowy bite not only fulfills one's hunger but also brings about feelings of gratification. The warm and cozy vibe of the restaurant joined with the unique take on Italian cuisine ensures each diner leaves feeling satisfied.

Daisy Kaplan

#5: Sugar Shane's "Pecan Party" Cookie

This mouthful of a cookie consists of candied pecans, butterscotch chips, and a pecan buttercream filling and is topped off with a cinnamon glaze and more pecans. Pecans can be made into pie, ice cream, or eaten on a cheese board, but on a cookie is one of the best ways to enjoy them.

Try out these five fall foods to ring in the fall season!