Many college students skip breakfast because they don't want to wake up any earlier than necessary for their first classes. Instead of not eating in the morning here are 8 foods you can eat to help keep your eyes open. 

blueberry muffin, candy, cookie, goody, pastry, muffin, chocolate, cake, sweet

1. Muffins

Muffins are a great grab-and-go breakfast especially on the way to class. Stop by your dining hall on your way or even the night before class. 

Fun Fact: The Blueberry Muffin is the official State muffin of Minnesota (blueberries also help prevent memory loss!) 

#Spoontip Careful, some muffins are higher in carbs sugar and sodium than others.

sweet, milk, cream, chocolate
Taylor Treadway

2. Yogurt (with granola) 

Simply pick your two favorite brands and you're good to go! If you find yourself with a little extra time you can add fresh fruit or one of my favorites, peanut butter.

Fun Facts: Greek yogurt has 2x the protein as traditional yogurt

whole apple, Fruit, Fuji apple, apples

3. Fruit

This is always a great option because you can easily take it with you. There are many options from an apple (with peanut butter) to a fruit salad so you can always change it up!

Fun Fact:  Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, eggplant, and other "vegetables" are actually fruits. 

Jillian DeSantis

4. Drinkable Yogurt

I rediscovered these last year and they quickly became one of my favorite breakfasts on mornings where I was feeling rushed. You can take them with you to class or even drink them on the way.

Fun Fact: Yogurt contains bacteria that is beneficial to your immune system.

wheat, corn, cereal
Kristine Mahan

5. Cereal 

Something simple, but always a great option to have in your room at all times. You can put some in a bag and bring it with you to class, or if you have more time pour some in a bowl with milk and enjoy!

Fun Fact: Cheerios were originally named "Cheerioats." The name was changed in 1945 

glass, cup, pouring, smoothie, banana, yogurt, milk, dairy product, berry, sorbet, sweet, cream, ice, strawberry
Caroline Ingalls

6. Smoothies

You can make this the night before if you don't want to wake up your roommate(s) with the sound of a blender. This is also a great option because you can drink it in class or on the way there.

Smoothies provide various combination options where you can always switch up the ingredients from day to day. 

Fun Fact:  Green smoothies are a great way of incorporating both fruits and vegetables into your diet!

yogurt, berry, sweet, strawberry
Jordana Colomby

7. Chia Pudding

This requires a little more preparation, but in the end it's definitely worth it. Make it the night before and in the morning you'll have something quick and delicious to eat before heading to class. 

Click here for a recipe to make it yourself!

Fun Fact: Chia seeds are about 20% protein making it a true "super food," and it was even recognized as such by the Aztecs. 

candy, chocolate, sweet, goody, cake
Athena Abdien

8. Granola Bars

You can eat one of these on your way to class to save time or even as you are getting ready. They are a great way to make sure you eat in the morning, while still being nutritious

Fun Fact: January 21st is National Granola Bar Day. 

Conclusion:

These 8 foods to eat before your 8a.m. class are sure to get your day off to a great start. Make sure you try one of them before your next early morning class. After all breakfast is the most important meal of the day!