Between all the fad diets, juice cleanses and calorie counting programs, it can seem like maintaining a balanced diet requires 24/7 attention and tracking. Fortunately, according to Dr. Peter D’Adamo, a respected and well-known naturopathic doctor, all you need to know might be your blood type. D’Adamo believes that blood types affect the digestive system and, consequently, your weight. Each blood type has a unique antigen marker that reacts differently to certain foods, so eating the wrong sorts of food can trigger an adverse reaction that leads to health problems. While his theories are not yet fully accepted by the medical community, the blood type diet is worth considering. Here’s a breakdown of the blood types and a list of foods to seek out and to avoid, compiled from Livestrong.com and Dr D’Adamo’s website.

Type O

Eat Right for Your Blood Type

Photo by Kelda Baljon

People with type O blood have the “oldest” (hence “o”) blood of humanity. Because of this, the digestive tract is wired the same way it was in ancient times. It is recommended that you consume lean meats, poultry and fish. Stay away from grains, breads and legumes (beans, lentils, peanuts).

Type A

Eat Right for Your Blood Type

Photo by Lily Allen.

Type A, which stands for “agrarian,” should consider switching to vegetarian diets. Eat soy proteins, grains and organic vegetables. Consuming raw foods will kick-start your immune system and leave you feeling healthier and lighter.

Type B

Eat Right for Your Blood Type

Photo by Lily Allen.

People with B blood are descendants of nomads. Because of this, they have a tolerant digestive system. You should stick to a diet of low-fat dairy, meat and produce, especially dark greens. Avoid poultry, bacon, shellfish, corn and tomatoes. Also, wheat, peanuts and lentils will pack on the pounds. They each affect the efficiency of your metabolism, leaving you tired and with abnormally low blood sugar. These foods are treated as foreign substances in the body, and can lead to illness.

Type AB

Eat Right for Your Blood Type

Photo by Lily Allen.

AB is the most modern blood type. People with it have a sensitive digestive tract and low levels of stomach acid, and because of this, have trouble metabolizing meat properly. Instead, meat products get stored as fat. Avoid chicken, beef and poultry. Instead, look out for lamb, turkey, rabbit and liver. If none of those appeal to you, people with AB are encouraged to eat fish, such as tuna, cod, mackerel, grouper, mahi-mahi, salmon and red snapper. You should also eat lots of dairy and green vegetables. All fruits are encouraged, but stay away from orange juice.