You might not think it’s possible to crave foods from Colgate when you’re living in one of the gastronomic capitals of the world, but I have such a soft spot for my college favorites that I’m sure I’ll get nostalgic for Hamilton restaurants eventually this semester. If you find yourself in a similar situation, these traditional French foods can be substitutes for your Colgate go-tos.

1. Hamilton Eatery: Croque Monsieur

France

Photo by Julia Benson

A sandwich stuffed with Mac and Cheese is a heavenly combination that would confuse the French and can definitely only be found in America. However, after trying my first croque monsieur this semester I’m thinking the Mac Daddy was actually inspired by this classic French food. It’s basically just a grilled cheese with ham inside and a ton of extra cheese melted on top. Upgrade to a croque madame, which has a fried egg added, and you won’t even notice the lack of mac.

2. La Iguana: Tartine

France

Photo by Julia Benson

Nothing here is a perfect match because I haven’t seen any signs of Mexican food since I arrived, but these open faced sandwiches covered in melted cheese have the same comfort food feel and bread/cheese combo as La Ig quesadillas. If only I could find somewhere with tartines and margs…

3. Chipwiches: Macarons

France

Photo by Julia Benson

For an equally sweet, hand held dessert reach for macarons. I’ve even found some at Paul, a French chain, that are the size of chipwiches. The only downside is that they can’t be found for free in admissions.

4. Royal India Grill: Kebabs

France

Photo by Julia Benson

I’m honestly still a little confused what the definition of kebabs is in France since I always thought they were just meat on a stick. In Dijon however, it seems like on every corner there is a kebab stand selling wraps and sandwiches stuffed with meat, sauces, and even fries. Just like at RIG, the food has an ethnic vibe, I’m not really sure what I’m eating, and my stomach is probably going to hurt later.

5. Hamilton Whole Foods: A Baguette

I usually find myself at Hamilton whole foods on Saturday mornings when my body is craving something nutritious to make up for the previous night of pizza and beer. In France bread is incredibly good and can be an equally refreshing hangover cure. Add in some cheese and veggies for a meal as wholesome as a Whole Foods sandwich.

France

Photo by Julia Benson

6. Colgate Inn Cookie Pie: Pain au Chocolat

France

Photo by Julia Benson

If you’re missing this classic Colgate dessert France has got you covered with an infinite selection of pastries and multiple pâtisseries on every street. Pain au chocolat is a personal favorite and will cure your chocolate craving just as well as cookie dough. Bonus option: Moelleux au chocolat is a personal cake with a molten chocolate center that may even be more rich and decadent than the Inn’s classic dessert.

France

Photo by Julia Benson

7. Andre: Kir Royale

France

Photo by Julia Benson

I doubt I’ll ever actually miss Andre while constantly surrounded by amazing Burgundian wines, but its counterpart here is definitely Kir royale. This drink is just champagne with Crème de Cassis (a currant liquor syrup) which enhances the champagne and gives it a sweet, fruity taste that could be compared to the Strawberry Moscato Andre you drank an entire bottle of before formal.

8. Slices: Crêpes

France

Photo by Julia Benson

Nothing can ever really replace slices in our hearts, but crêpes can bring me a similar level of joy and are as much a staple in France as Slices are at Colgate. They can be filled with a seemingly endless combination of sweet toppings so they even have an advantage over Slices since they definitely do not come plain only. Plus, remember when the Jug sold crepes? They’re clearly just as satisfying a drunk food as pizza is.