We all know the struggle of balancing food choices while living in a dorm. As long as you have a few essentials on hand, you will never go hungry. Without further ado, here are my dorm room food essentials you NEED to stock up on!

Fruit

Olivia Berens

An absolute essential! Fruit can be used in so many ways and is also perfect by itself. I like to throw bananas and chopped apples on top of oatmeal or top a pint of vanilla ice-cream with raspberries. Yum! Sometimes fruit can be especially pricey (mainly when it is out of season), so I encourage you to try some new fruits that might be in season or out of your comfort zone.

Granola Bars

Olivia Berens

A perfect on-the-go snack! These specific granola bars are my favorite ones because they have very little ingredients and work well with my gluten sensitivity. These are easy to transport, can survive in Florida heat, and will leave you extremely satisfied. As someone who used to hate granola bars, I encourage you to try different ones until you find the one perfect for you!

Oatmeal

Olivia Berens

The easiest breakfast there ever was. All you have to do is fill the container with water, microwave, and enjoy! You can always substitute this individually packaged oatmeal for the packets and provide your own bowl to save a couple dollars. Top your oatmeal with some dried/fresh fruit, chocolate chips and a drizzle of honey to start your day off the RIGHT way.

Frozen Food

Olivia Berens

Hands down, without a doubt, the greatest essential. Frozen food can be a lifesaver when you live in a dorm. Throw that sucker in the microwave for just a couple of minutes and you have dinner right at your fingertips. Trader Joe’s is the best place to purchase these due to their affordability and deliciousness. From chicken burgers to 4-cheese pasta, you will not be disappointed.

Chocolate

Olivia Berens

Ahh, the occasional sweet-tooth. Although I am not one to indulge in chocolate 24/7, I know there are some of you out there. It never hurts to keep a box of chocolate cookies on hand, just in case you find yourself craving a little sugar.

Bread

Olivia Berens

If you don’t usually like something sweet in the morning (like me), make sure you grab a loaf of bread or a couple bagels. I prefer to toast my bread extra crispy, smear a little butter on it, and top it with “everything but the bagel” seasoning from Trader Joe’s. 

Yogurt

Olivia Berens

A great snack! You can top it with fruit, granola, or even stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours to make frozen yogurt. The greatest thing of all about yogurt is the affordability. Depending on the brand and flavor, you are most likely going to find plenty under $1. 

Chips & Salsa

Olivia Berens

This has to be my favorite snack. Lime flavored chips and authentic salsa completely have my heart. I could actually eat this every day…and maybe I do. Anyways, you don’t need to go to your favorite Tex-Mex joint to have this snack - enjoy it in your dorm!

Almond Butter

Olivia Berens

An amazing co-star of toast, bananas, apples, and even smashed between two chocolate cookies! You can certainly stick to peanut butter, but almond butter has a much creamier texture in my opinion. Make sure to keep a jar on hand!

These dorm room food essentials will fill your mini fridge and plastic bins (A.K.A your pantry) with affordable and delicious options that are easy to prepare. Now head on over to your grocery store and stock up!