What is domestic violence? It's violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner. Unfortunately, domestic violence affects 20 people per minute in the US, which totals to 10 million people per year, according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. One in three women and one in four men have been victims of some form of domestic violence by their intimate partner in their lifetime.

Domestic violence not only harms the victims, but also children involved or other family members or friends who are forced to watch the suffering. It can leave lifelong scars both physically and emotionally. It doesn't matter who you are, where you live, or who your partner is—any form of abuse is not okay, and these 10 male celebrities have decided to use their star power to fight for the end of domestic violence.   

1. Russel Wilson 

Russel Wilson participates in the NFL's "No More" campaign against domestic violence as well as his own campaign that he started called "Pass the Peace," which encourages people to donate to the National Domestic Violence Hotline. Participants in the "Pass the Peace" campaign record videos of themselves making peace signs, donating to the hotline, and nominating others to do the same. 

"The idea behind Pass the Peace is simple: It’s a promise. I’m sharing my love for you. I want to take care of you. I am here for you. As NFL players, we do not play a gentle game. But our hits, our anger, our aggressive behaviors need to be regulated and confined to the field," Wilson said.

2. Patrick Stewart 

Patrick Stewart is a British actor who has starred in movies such as "Star Trek" and "X-Men." In 2009, he gave a speech at Amnesty International, a platform and campaign for injustice regarding human rights, explaining how he was forced to watch his alcoholic father abuse his mother while he was growing up. 

"No one escapes the trauma of those experiences," he said.

3. Daniel Craig 

You may know him as "007." He has appeared in several video campaigns, including a PSA called "Equals." The PSA points out that one in four women are victims of domestic abuse, and each week two women in the United Kingdom are killed by a former or current partner

4. Ian Somerhalder 

"Vampire Diaries" star Ian Somerhalder joined the "Real Men" campaign against domestic violence in 2011. The national campaign was launched by Women’s Aid in 2011 and it asked both men and women to help to send out the message that ‘Real Men’ do not abuse and control women—physically, emotionally, sexually, or financially.

"I wanted to take part in this campaign because it's so easy to forget the many women who live their lives in fear because of domestic violence. Men have an important role to play in sending out the message that real men do not hurt or abuse their partners." —Ian Somerhalder 

5. Reggie Yates 

British actor and radio DJ Reggie Yates, best known for his role as Leo Jones in Doctor Who and for his work at BBC in radio and television, also chose to take part in the "Real Men" campaign against domestic violence.

"When I heard that one in four women is affected by domestic violence in their lifetime, I was horrified. That's why this campaign is so important. A real man is happy to support the women in his life and appreciate them. My mother and my sisters are so important to me. Violence just doesn't make any sense." —Reggie Yates 

6. Matt Lanter 

90210 actor Matt Lanter joined the "Real Men" campaign in 2011 as well. In an article by Cosmopolitan UK, they say that the campaign is important because they need to spread the idea that "Men do not abuse and control women physically, emotionally, sexually, or financially." While this is an amazing cause and a true statement, domestic violence can happen to anyone, man or woman and the abuser can also be anyone. 

"A real man wouldn't lay a finger on a woman. He treats his partner with respect, love and support. Men are physically stronger and have no place abusing that power. Everyone has problems, and arguments happen, but that's when a real man uses his intelligence to talk it out." —Matt Lanter

7. Jermain Defoe 

Jermain Defoe is a professional soccer player from England and is a striker for Premier League club Sunderland. He too partnered withe the "Real Men" campaign in the effort to end domestic violence. He told Cosmopolitan UK that it's important to understand that getting away from your abuser is not always as easy as walking out the door. 

"People sometimes ask, 'Why would a woman ever stay with a violent partner?' But when you love someone and you're scared, it must be incredibly hard. Somehow, though, you have to find the strength to get help. Any form of abuse is unacceptable." —Jermain Defoe

8. Jahmene Douglas

Jahmene Douglas of the X Factor grew up in fear of domestic violence after his father beat his mother until she was unrecognizable. His father was eventually jailed, but not before his brother took his own life to escape the suffering. According to the Childhood Domestic Violence Association, five million children witness domestic violence each year in the US. Douglas joined the "Real Men" campaign and explained why it is important to him that real men don't hit women. 

"My mother's screams will stick with me until the day I die," Douglas told Cosmopolitan UK.

9. William Gay 

William Gay, the cornerback for the Pittsburg Steelers, is one of many NFL players who have spoken out against domestic violence ever since the Ray Rice incident where in 2014 former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice struck his then fiancee in the face, rendering her unconscious. 

The issue hit close to home for Gay, because at the age of seven he lost his mother to domestic violence when his mother tried to leave his abusive stepfather. His stepfather shot her and then shot himself when she tried to leave the relationship. Gay and Verizon's HopeLine have partnered up to encourage people to donate their old phones, because victims typically can't use their old phones once they leave their abusers.

Gay also speaks at domestic violence seminars and volunteers at a women's shelter in addition to his work with Verizon. You can read the essay he wrote on the subject here.

10. Joe Torre

Joe Torre is a former MLB player, MLB manager, and is even featured in the baseball hall of fame. Torre's father, a former NYC police officer, physically abused his mother as he was growing up. Torre founded the Safe at Home Foundation where the mission is "educating to end the cycle of domestic violence and save lives." He regularly holds fundraisers for the cause Safe at Home and encourages awareness of the issue via social media. 

Domestic violence does not discriminate, it can affect anyone no matter their gender, age or relationship status. If you or anyone you know is a victim of domestic violence and you want to help please call the Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−7233.