Buying in bulk at Sam's Club is a great idea, until your dad brings home two 40-oz. bottles of honey...not that I'm speaking from experience here. Considering I only use a tablespoon per day for my cup of green tea, this honey will definitely be sticking around for a while. So I was faced with the question: does honey expire?

Although the bottle says it will expire in a year and a half, eating food past the expiration date is often perfectly safe. I decided to do my own research on the subject in case my father keeps bringing home the sweet stuff faster than I can eat it. 

The Verdict

sweet, honey, tea
Jina Kim

If stored properly (in a sealed contained away from humidity), honey has a shelf life of, well, forever. This is due to honey’s hygroscopy and low pH, two qualities that make it difficult for the sticky substance to spoil.

According to Amina Harris, executive director of the Honey and Pollination Center at the Robert Mondavi Institute at University of California, Davis: "Honey in its natural form is very low in moisture. Very few bacteria or microorganisms can survive in an environment like that, they just die. They're smothered by it, essentially.

What If My Honey Crystallizes?

jam, tea
Carter Roland

Don’t worry if your honey starts looking cloudy. Crystallization is a natural process affected by temperature, the ratio of glucose and fructose, and pollen. Crystallized honey is still delicious and safe to eat, but if you’d rather go for the original, simply place the container in a bowl of warm water and stir.

Still Skeptical?

tea
Katie Seaton

Ask the archeologists who sampled a bit of the honey they found in 3,000-year old Egyptian tombs–it wasn’t spoiled at all! Apparently the ancient Egyptians were big fans, using honey as a sweetener, preservative, and medicinal remedy. They were definitely onto something: honey is a true superfood.

Raw, unprocessed honey has tons of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. But you aren't just limited to food just think hair removal, acne treatment, DIY Pepto-Bismol. Now, after considering all the things honey can do for you, support your local beekeepers to do your part in protecting the declining bee population. 

It looks like as long as the excessive amount of honey in my family's pantry stays sealed, we'll be enjoying it for years to come. I guess father really does know best.