The health benefits of coconut milk make this creamy white liquid a must-have in your diet. Coconut milk aids the body’s immune defenses and prevents diseases. It also helps lower cholesterol levels, improves blood pressure, and may prevent heart attacks or strokes. No to mention it's a delicious substitute for cow's milk, and it's soy-free and nut-free. Although canned and boxed coconut milk last a long time in your pantry, one still has to ask, does coconut milk go bad? The answer is, yes, coconut milk eventually does go bad. Here's how you can tell. 

How to Tell If Coconut Milk Has Gone Bad

Mayleen Zhagnay

Unopened and half-opened cans of coconut milk have different expiration dates. An unopened can will have a shelf-life of two to five years, while an opened can will only last you about a week.

Coconut milk also comes in cartons on shelves. Once opened, these cartons must be refrigerated and will last for seven to 10 days. If it's unopened, it will most likely last three to four weeks after the date on the package.

Whether you have canned coconut milk or the stuff in a carton, it's always important to smell coconut milk before using it. If the coconut milk has gone bad, it will smell sour and may contain mold. It may also appear chunky and darker in color and will have started to curdle. 

The best way to prevent coconut milk from spoiling is by keeping all your canned goods and cartons in a dark, cool place that's free from humidity. Humidity causes mold to grow faster and can cause coconut milk to spoil faster. 

Ways to Use Up Coconut Milk

Mystikal Scalzi

The best way to use up those old coconut milk cans or cartons is to make dishes such as matcha piña coladacoconut flan, pulled tandoori chicken, coconut curry tofu, and even sweet potato coconut curry soup. These are just a few coconut milk recipes you can try, but there are so many more. 

Coconut milk is an amazing ingredient to add to your food, just don't forget to smell it before use and you'll ace these recipes. If your coconut milk has gone bad, throw it away and buy a new can or carton. It's not worth the risk of getting food poisoning or an upset stomach!