In a world full of appearances, we all want white teeth comparable to that of celebrities. We want to have those dazzling smiles that will make some random stranger fall in love with us, as mouthwash and toothpaste commercials lead us to believe.

There are a ton of natural, DIY teeth whitening home remedies that come up when you google how to get whiter teeth. There are tricks to whiter teeth by using lemon or citrus peels, apple cider vinegar, or coconut oil. Most of these home whitening remedies are thought to work because the high level of acidity in the foods supposedly removes the stains on your teeth. I decided to research one of these in particular—do strawberries whiten your teeth?

strawberry, berry, sweet, red fruit, red berry, Fruit
Amelia Hitchens

Sadly, they do not. Many suggest mixing strawberries with baking soda to make a paste. You then brush this paste onto your teeth and let it sit for five minutes. However, in Dr. So Ran Kwon's study this remedy does not actually whiten teeth.

Using strawberries to whiten teeth will "remove plaque and surface debris from teeth, creating the illusion of a whiter smile." The downfall is that your teeth will not stay whiter, as there is no bleaching being done to give you long lasting pearly whites.

Many people believe that the malic acid found in strawberries and apples (another common "natural whitener") works because this type of acid is in whitening strips, but this acid only removes the stains and does not actually whiten.

The sad news continues. Not only do strawberries not work, but other remedies that use acid-based treatments, like lemons and strawberries, can potentially erode teeth and possibly harm them. In Dr. Kwon's study, it was also found that the strawberry mixture reduced the surface hardness of the teeth, making them vulnerable to damage in the future.

So when someone asks "Do strawberries whiten your teeth?" Let them know that they do not and to avoid using acidic home treatments. The best way to keep your teeth bright? Use a whitening toothpaste that is safe for your enamel. Also, decrease consumption of things that stain your teeth like coffee and red wine. Finally, not to get all cheesy, but the brightest smile is one of confidence and happiness.