Hot Dog Day is July 20th, and to celebrate, why not try a new type of hot dog. You have the one that you grew up eating based on where you are from or what you like, but there are so many options out there to discover and maybe find a new favorite. 

Chicago Dog

sandwich, lettuce, hot dog
Sara Mickow

A Chicago Dog is a very specific hot dog. There are rules and ingredients that must be included and any variation is not a Chicago dog. It starts with a poppyseed bun topped with yellow mustard, white onion, bright green pickle relish, a speared dill pickle, tomato slices, pickled sport peppers and celery salt. With all of these ingredients, you definitely won't be missing out on flavor with each bite you take. But just remember the most important rule of a Chicago Dog: NO KETCHUP!

Sonoran Dog

hot dog, mustard, cheese
Kiersten Lieurance

Located in the Southwestern part of the United States, specifically in Arizona comes the Sonoran Dog originated in Mexico. A bacon-wrapped grilled dog topped with pinto beans, onion, tomato, and jalapeño on top to garnish. The Southwestern and Mexican flavors are a clear favorite for this hot dog. 

Detroit Coney

poutine, cheese, meat, french fries, hot dog
Alex Weiner

When you think of Coney, you think Coney Island in New York, Right? But, what if there was a different Coney, like a Detroit Coney Dog. A beef hot dog sandwiched in a bun with chilli sauce, chopped raw onion and a little bit of yellow mustard. This is a Michigan classic whose recipe can't be beaten!

Seattle-Style Dog

If you venture up to the Pacific Northwest this dog should be on your list to try. It's a normal hot dog topped with cream cheese and sauteed onions. Now I know that that combination sounds super strange, but come late night eats or game day, it's definitely a fan favorite. 

Cleveland Polish Boy

Another Midwestern take, the Cleveland Polish Boy is a kielbasa sausage on a thick roll topped with cole slaw, barbeque and hot sauce and extra hearty serving of french fries on top. French fries make everything better. 

Newark-Style Italian Dog

Deep fried hot dog, What??? That's exactly what this one is. After frying, it is stuffed into pizza bread with onion, peppers, and potato rounds. It is such a different and iconic take on a hot dog that sounds too intriguing not to try. 

New York System Wiener

Despite its name, the New York System Weiner is from Rhode Island. It starts with the hot dog in a steamed side cut roll, topped with meat sauce, mustard, chopped onion, and celery salt. Not only does it sound amazing, but this one is a must try especially for meat lovers. 

Slaw Dogs

Exactly what it sounds like, a slaw dog is a hot dog either topped with chili slaw or BBQ slaw, depending on where you go. Popular in the Southern regions, slaw dogs vary from region to region but always have the same basic components to give it the iconic feeling of a slaw dog. 

Kansas City Reuben Hot Dog

Inspired by the famous deli sandwich, the Reuben Hot Dog includes everything you already know and love: melted cheese, caraway seeds, sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing. Whether you want to upgrade your sandwich or your hot dog, this mix surely won't leave you hungry for more. 

New York Dog

Probably the next most memorable hot dog after the Chicago Dog, a New York hot dog is another classic. Typically an all beef wiener grilled to perfection and topped with sauerkraut and mustard. Simple but amazing. 

Maine Red Snapper

Never has there been a more vibrantly colored hot dog. The bright red colored wiener comes from the use of food coloring to alter the natural casing. Eaten in just a bun the simpler the better here. But color is everything. 

Tijuana Dog

A bacon-wrapped hot dog...yes please!!! Originated in Tijuana and now sold in parts of California, the Tijuana dog is wrapped in bacon and deep fried then topped with onion and mayo. This hot dog combines everything amazing about street food: wrapped in bacon and deep fried. A clear must try!