The Coca-Cola Company was founded in 1886, and has been a household name ever since. The company has a portfolio of over 3,500 beverages, yet only two are involved in what seems like a never-ending debate: Coke Zero vs Diet Coke.

The two drinks were both created to be sugar-free alternatives to the brand’s original Coca-Cola soda, and are seemingly the same drink with different names.

Diet Coke was introduced in 1982, and was the company’s first sugar-free soda. A little over two decades later, Coke Zero was born. Released in 2005, the company created a drink that seemed incredibly similar to Diet Coke, but it still did well on the market. In 2017, Coke Zero got a makeover and is now known as Coke Zero Sugar. So basically, Diet Coke is the OG, but people still love Coke Zero Sugar. But is there really a difference?

The answer to that is yes.

While both are sugar-free and calorie-free alternatives to the original Coca-Cola, there are minor differences that divide soda lovers everywhere (Team Diet Coke, FTW) 

Diet Coke is missing two of the ingredients that Coke Zero Sugar has: acesulfame potassium and potassium citrate. Acesulfame potassium is a sugar substitute that's calorie-free and potassium citrate is an additive found in many beverages

Fans of Coca-Cola products have certainly taken their stances on the Coke Zero vs Diet Coke debate. In terms of taste, fans of Coke Zero Sugar say that it tastes the most like the original Coca-Cola. On the other hand, Diet Coke is a different blend of flavors that results in a lighter taste. The two ingredient difference helps to set apart the two beverages, as one stays classic while the other becomes a bit lighter.

Diet Coke does win over Coke Zero Sugar when it comes to flavor variety. Diet Coke is available in four different flavors other than the original: cherry, lime, caffeine-free, and Splenda substitute. Coke Zero Sugar only has three other flavors other than its original available, which are cherry, vanilla, and caffeine-free

I know you're wondering which is the healthier option. Neither one of them is better than the other, because there's hardly any noticeable nutritional difference between them. We all know that soda isn’t the healthiest drink, but if you find yourself wanting to reach for a cold soda, it won’t matter if you choose Coke Zero Sugar or Diet Coke!

Finally, the Coke Zero vs Diet Coke debate can be settled. While minor, there are in fact some differences between the beverages.