5… 4… 3… 2…

The last few minutes of the year are always the most exciting. As you and your friends sip some drinks and watch the ball drop, you can’t help but remember how totally awesome your year was and wonder what’s in store for the next. Whether you traveled the world or mastered a new recipe, fell in love or simply just became more organized (you’ve been swearing you would for the past five years now), New Years is the perfect time to reflect on all of the luck the year has brought you. And hey, of course you want to keep that good luck streak going, right? What better way to gain some luck than with food? Eat them all if you want a lucky 2015.

Cornbread

Microwave Meal: Cornbread for One

Photo by Alex Weiner

This Southern staple comes first on our list because, let’s be honest, who doesn’t like cornbread? As soon as that basket of goodness arrives in front of you at the Cracker Barrel, your heart flutters. But the next time you reach for that second or third piece, don’t be ashamed! In fact, cornbread is believed to bring a prosperous year to whoever eats it (because it has a similar color to gold). So, load up on cornbread for health and wealth!

Circular foods

Photo by Julie Mirliss

Legend has it that circular foods symbolize a year coming full circle. This can range from something like an orange,to a bagel or a donut. I don’t know about you, but I’ll quickly snatch up any donut that claims to bring me good luck.

Whole fish

luck

Photo Courtesy of Tasty Trials.com

Although this might arguably be the most unappetizing thing on the New Year’s menu, a whole fish (yes, the head and tail must still be in tact) is said by many cultures to bring good luck in the new year. You must eat the entire fish from start to finish to ensure that all 12 months of your year are good ones.

Greens

Photo by Alex Tom

Photo by Alex Tom

Smell that? That’s the smell of fresh, crisp bills piling up for you in the new year. Apparently, eating leafy greens, such as kale, collard greens and arugula, will bring a vast amount of wealth. Certain cultures believe that both the feel and the color of these greens are reminiscent of money.

Pork

Photo by Charlotte Hull

Photo by Charlotte Hull

Last, but certainly not least, pork is probably the most well known good luck food. Although any variation of pork can be eaten, a pork tenderloin tends to be the most common. Many people believe that pork is the best food to eat to bring good luck because a pig can not physically move backwards, only forward. Therefore, the person who eats it can only move forward in their new year. Top that tenderloin with some sauerkraut, and you’re in for a hearty and delicious meal.