How are cucumbers different than zucchini? They look the same, but what makes them different? When you compare a cucumber vs zucchini, they both have a green skin and a cylindrical shape, however, there are many differences between the two.

A fun fact to start off, cucumbers and zucchini are technically fruits because they develop from a flower and have seeds in the middle.

Taste

When eating cucumbers or zucchini raw, they have different textures and flavors. A cucumber is typically crisp and juicy while zucchini are 'heartier' and tend to be a little bitter.

Nutrition

Cucumbers

vegetable, cucumber, marinated cucumber
Haliana Burhans

Serving size: 1/2 cup (52 g); with peel; raw

Calories: 8 

Cucumbers contain no more than 2 percent of any vitamin or mineral because they are 95 percent water.

Zucchini

pasture, vegetable, squash, courgette, marrow
Kayla Hawthorne

Serving size: 1/2 cup (62 g); with skin; raw

Calories: 11

Zucchini are also about 95 percent water and contain roughly the same amount of vitamins and minerals as cucumbers.

Origin

Cucumbers originated in India and are found between the northern part of the Bay of Bengal and the Himalayan Mountains. Around the time of the second century, B.C., cucumbers were grown in China. Some explorers planted cucumbers on islands while others found them growing throughout Haiti, what is now Montreal, and Florida during the 15th and 16th centuries.  

The word 'zucchini' has an Italian origin and most researchers believe the plant originated in Italy. Zucchini plants were not introduced to the United States until the mid 1900's by Italians. However, some say that zucchini is native to Central America and Mexico.

Usage

vegetable, tomato, salad, pepper, cucumber, courgette
Lynden Orr

Cucumbers are usually eaten cold or they are used for canning and pickling. Cucumber salads are perfect for summer parties and cookouts. A lot of people also add cucumbers to water for a detox.

bread, sweet, cake, pastry, cookie, wheat, chocolate, brown bread
Carl Pieri

Zucchini is typically cooked or used for baking. Even though zucchini are technically fruits, they are used as vegetables in the culinary world. They can be used as a pasta substitute and made into noodles, baked into crispy chips, and several other tasty ways

Plants

pasture, vegetable
Kayla Hawthorne

Cucumber plants need to be planted after all threat of frost has passed. Plants can be planted one every 12 inches in a row or three plants per hill and spaced three feet apart. Cucumber plants like to vine out, so if space is limited you can let them grow up a fence.

vegetable, pasture, herb
Kayla Hawthorne

Zucchini plants also need to be planted after the threat of frost has passed. Plants can be in hills with three plants and four feet apart or grown in rows with two feet between each plant. Unlike cucumbers, zucchini grow to form a small bush and not vine. When zucchini aren't picked they become too big and seedy. The ultimate size for zucchini is seven inches long and no more than two inches in diameter.

Cucumber vs zucchini: there are a lot of differences. Whether you want to consider them fruits or vegetables, cucumbers and zucchini can be used in many yummy ways. Go enjoy them while they're fresh.