There's something about being outside in nature that makes eating meals especially fun. I love picnics: whether carefully curated themed meals with drinks and dessert to match the meal, or simple throw-together lunches for hikes on the trail. If you want to heighten your picnic experience, try some of these tips to really set the mood for the outing. 

General picnic supplies:

Before you head out the door, make sure you have all the things you need to set up a great picnic. Have a good basket or cooler to carry all of your food and drinks in (I'm partial to the traditional wooden picnic basket). Pack a blanket to sit on; the more waterproof the better! Don't forget reusable utensils and cloth napkins (no plastic please!). You'll also need cups, a thermos, or glasses if you pack drinks. Lastly, you'll need a cold pack or bag of ice for the refrigerated foods.

Tip: keep ice in a plastic or reusable sandwich bag to prevent water from leaking onto the food. 

What to pack for food? 

You can pack whatever suits your tastes for the day. It's good to look for easily packable foods like sandwiches, chips and crackers, fruit that won't bruise, and so on. If you're bringing a cooler or cold pack you can add things like cheese or chilled drinks. If you're looking for some fun, check out some of these around-the-world picnic ideas I've found! 

French: French bread, fresh from a bakery. For meat eaters, salami or prosciutto (or the vegan version made from soy or wheat products). Pack a variety of cheese (the French love their cheese); try a hard cheese like sharp aged cheddar and something softer like brie. Fruit, strawberries, pears, and grapes pair well with many cheese. For drinks, sparkling fruit juice or wine is a nice addition. Add some truffles or dark chocolate for dessert and you're set!

Photo by Kate Hliznitsova on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Italian: Bruschetta, which is thinly sliced bread toasted and topped with mozzarella, olive oil, tomato, and basil. An orzo salad with cucumbers, tomato, and herbs. Oranges for fruit and limoncello (an Italian lemon liquor) or lemonade for the drink. Have biscotti (almond cookies) or, if you have the cooler space, gelato for dessert. 

Photo by Calum Lewis on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Indian: Curried chickpea salad, hummus, carrots, and naan bread for a protein-packed vegan meal. Plain water or iced chai tea goes great with this meal.

Japanese: Sushi (vegetarian keeps better if refrigeration is an issue); try avocado, carrot, cucumber, and tofu with pickled ginger and wasabi. Edamame for some extra vegetables, and  iced green tea for a drink. End the meal with some delicious mochi, rice cakes filled with all sorts of yummy things, including ice cream! Bento boxes are a wonderful way to pack picnics since they're very compact and easy to transport.

Greek: Falafel wraps in pita bread with falafel, hummus, tzatziki, cucumber, onions, and lettuce. Pack some dolmas (stuffed grape leaves) and baba ghanoush (the eggplant version of hummus) with some pita chips. Have some fruit and pastels (sweet sesame seed bars) for dessert.

Set the proper atmosphere

Where is your picnic taking place? If you're hiking in the woods you may want to throw in some bug spray. Relaxing by the beach may require some sunscreen and additional ice. Headed out to your backyard? Grab a book on your way out or some arts supplies to really enjoy your time outside without worrying about carrying the extra weight.

Make sure to check the weather and dress accordingly. Picnics in the rain can actually be quite pleasant if you have a tarp above your head and something waterproof to sit on. 

Staying out late? Check with your local fire regulations based on the area, but you could bring real (or LED) candles to set the mood. Desert and stargazing picnics are wonderful on clear summer nights. 

Photo by Alexandra K on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

I hope these ideas inspire you to get outside and have a wonderful picnic!