Whether you're a newbie or a seasoned veteran, Cortaca, the annual duel between the Ithaca College and SUNY Cortland football teams, is an exciting and daunting time of year. IC isn't exactly known for their Saturday tailgates and rowdy football games, but on November 12th, things are a little different.

Although Ithaca hasn't won the past six years, the students are always naively optimistic for a victory and celebrate regardless. As a Cortaca veteran myself, I'm here to guide you through the experience, making sure you survive the day of festivities by adequately preparing for the occasion. Filled with football, friends and Fireball, Cortaca is sure to be a good time

Pre-Game

The night before game day, be sure to shot-gun a few water bottles. Water is the magical substance that will prevent that almost guaranteed hangover. Starting to drink while dehydrated is one of the worst things you can do to your body. If you're not a fan of water, try these uber hydrating foods.

Be sure to eat a hearty meal the night before, load up on carbs and protein to keep you sustained all day long for Cortaca. Have a family dinner and make this one-pot pasta for all your friends.

Game Time

Who said dartying wasn't a sport? While the football team may be the only ones playing in an official game, many students at IC will be partaking in their own celebration. Once you've had your substantial breakfast, we recommend starting the day with a classy mimosa or maybe a drinking game.

Keep in mind: mixing alcohols can cause problems. But, if you choose to mix, just remember: "Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, you're in the clear." Whether you're into hard alcohol, soft drinks or somewhere in between, make a drink that works for you. 

Post-Game

We all know that intoxicated people are basically just large babies and thus, making it damn near impossible to make food. At this point, the drunchies and munchies are hitting, hard. In order to avoid this dilemma, you have to prep. Depending on your preference, make a sandwich, a taco quesadilla, whatever will satisfy that hunger. If you're party hopping, don't forget to snack and filter in a water, this will keep you strong and going all day, and night long. Also, nobody judges the person with snacks at a party. If anything, they'll applaud you.

Follow these tips and your drunk self will thank your sober self. Have fun, be safe and do you this Cortaca.