Do you have a tough time getting your onion sliced into uniform pieces? Well, I used to struggle with the same problem until I started working in the back of a small restaurant. You might ask why it is important to have the same sized pieces of onion. The size and shape of your onion is important when sautéing so the pieces take the same amount of time to cook down. This results in a uniform flavor and texture of onion for whatever dish you make! Additionally, once you know the correct way to dice, the process is expedited, and you may even look forward to it the next time you are in the kitchen.

The Breakdown

What you need: Any onion of your preference, a sharp knife, and a cutting board.

1. First, cut the onion in half by slicing through the root and the stem.

2. Peel the onion’s outer layer off to reveal what you will cook! Lightly score the outside, and it will be easier to get all the outer layer off.

3. Remove the stem from the onion.

4. Take one of your halves and place the flat side down onto the cutting board.

5. Cut vertical slices away from the root of the onion. Make sure you do not cut through the root as this will hold the onion together when you make further slices, later on. These slices can be ¼ inch to ½ inch apart, depending on how big or small you would like your dice. (More slices = smaller dice)

6. Turn the onion counterclockwise, as if the root were at twelve o’clock originally towards nine o’clock if the knife is in your right hand. If the knife is in your left hand turn the root side towards three o’clock.

7. Cut horizontally towards the root from the side where the stem was cut off. You can do two or three horizontal cuts depending on how big or small you would like your dice. (More cuts = smaller dice)

8. Finally, slice from the top of the onion to the bottom perpendicular to the vertical slices you made in Step 5. Repeat until your knife is just about next to the root.

9. If you would like to dice the entire onion, repeat steps four through eight for the second half of the onion.

And there you go! Now you know how to cut an onion like a pro. For more tips and tricks about onion cutting, check out Delia Johnson's article.