There has been a cookie dough recall in as many as 16 states across the country. While this is cause for some concern, don't panic quite yet. Here everything you need to know about this recall and the foods that have been affected by it. 

What's up with the recall?

The specific cookie dough ice cream suppliers affected were Blue Bunny and Blue Bell. This recall was announced after Blue Bunny's cookie dough supplier, Aspen Hills, found traces of Listeria in their cookie dough. While they voluntarily initiated the cooke dough recall, it's still very sketchy that this showed up at all. If you're like me, all Listeria means is something that sounds like mouthwash. Before you go ignoring this sciencey-sounding word, you should know that Listeria doesn't mess around.

WTF is Listeria?

A photo posted by jentung (@jentung) on

Listeria is known by the CDC as food poisoning's rare, but deadly germ. Although it usually only affects pregnant women and the elderly, who both have weakened immune systems, anyone can catch Listeria. And we all know that being in college sometimes weakens your immune system, so it's important to keep it strong. General symptoms include fever, muscle aches, diarrhea, or other gastrointestinal problems.

Why do we care?

chocolate, sweet
Malia Budd

Listeria can be treated with antibiotics, but no course of treatment is 100% guaranteed to fight off the disease. Even with fast treatment, some Listeria cases result in death. I promise you that no cookie dough ice cream or bar is good enough to go to the grave over.

Where else has it spread?

The worst part is the Listeria traces aren't just in cookie dough ice cream. Aside from the current cookie dough recall, Eggo Nutri Grain Waffles were also recalled a month ago for Listeria concerns. The infection has also been found in certain diet bars. Rather than risking infection, you should just make your own.

Although we sometimes ignore the risk of getting salmonella sometimes, Listeria is nothing to take lightly. While it will be hard, it's safest to stay away from all processed cookie dough products for a while, because this cookie dough recall is no joke. So put down your spoons and throw away your boxes of bars and switch to something a little safer when treating yo self.