Eating the recommended five servings of fruits and vegetables every day isn’t easy. Even if you manage to receive the correct number of servings per day, you still might not be getting the wide range of necessary nutrients, vitamins and minerals. While in college, it is especially important to get the proper nutrients to avoid exhaustion, lack of energy and focus, and to obtain restful sleep! The most significant limitation most college students experience is not knowing how to get these nutrients.

So, how might a college student initiate a plan to eat healthier?  The answer is somewhat simple, learn to drink natural produce with as many colors as possible.  Learn to create a rainbow of smoothies! Smoothies are a quick, easy, and efficient way to consume the specific vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals found in fruits and vegetables. Plus, each color is natural and offers something different. The white, paler vegetables and fruits such as bananas or pears are rich in B-vitamins. Red produce such as tomatoes and watermelons are a good source of vitamin A and C, manganese, and zinc. They also contribute a considerable amount of protein to our diet and are loaded with vitamins and minerals that help fight disease. Orange produce contains a significant amount of of vitamins A and B, in addition to potassium beta-carotene and selenium. Yellow produce has the greatest amounts of vitamin A, the Bs, and C vitamins and minerals. Yellows contain flavonoids that help build immunity, protect cells, fight cancers, and high cholesterol.  Deep green produce contain vitamins A, K, and the Bs, as well calcium, zinc, and iron. The chlorophyll in green produce enhances the properties of the vitamins and minerals already present. Blue fruits are rich in B and vitamin C, and also calcium and iron.

Why care about any of this? Well, it is very important to understand what foods to eat in order to obtain the nutrients your body needs. Vitamins play a major role in body functions such as nerve impulses to muscle contractions, clarity of mind and even getting a good night sleep. A smoothie made with a rainbow of colorful produce would be an excellent way to start becoming a healthier person!

Mango Banana Madness (328 calories per cup)
Promotes healthy skin and eyes
Yields 2 cups

1 cup of mango, peeled
1 banana, peeled
1 cup of coconut milk
1 cup of ice

1. Combine all in a blender or Magic Bullet.

2. Add additional water or ice to obtain desired consistency