With less than two months left of school, midterms have been the last thing on my mind. Unfortunately, the tests have caught up to me, and I no longer have the excuse of a snow day or Spring Break to justify my Netflix binge-watching sessions. If I am going to motivate myself to start studying, I need to have the right caffeine fix.

Ultimately, the fight comes down to tea or coffee. Which one is actually the best to help overcome the midterm madness? We’re here to help you decide which drink will boost your study sessions and help you survive until summer.

Looking for that quick burst of strength?

tea coffee choice

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

If you’re hoping for a jolt of energy to keep you awake in the early hours of the morning, know these facts:

• Tea contains 14mg to 61mg of caffeine per 8-oz cup
  • Coffee contains 95mg of caffeine per 8-oz cup

If your memory needs some support…

tea coffee choice

Photo by Jennifer Cao

A cup of joe before your exam could go a long way. Studies have shown that coffee improves short-term recall as well as reaction times. However, the energy boost given by coffee can also make you jittery. So, drinking more cups of tea may help your brain function and focus at a higher level without the unwanted side-effects of drinking coffee.

Stressing out about an exam tomorrow?

tea coffee choice

Photo by Alex Tom

Pour yourself a cup of tea and relax. Drinking three to four cups of tea a day can reduce the chance of a heart attack. People who drink black tea four times a day for six weeks were found to have lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Look for the perfect occasion to sip a cup of tea right here.

When you’re feeling a little sick….

tea coffee choice

Photo by Jessica Payne

Although flu season is (hopefully!) nearing its end, the antioxidants in green tea can help repair a weak immune system by cleansing the bad toxins that invaded your body. As a side-note, coffee actually has more antioxidants per cup, but too much coffee may cause high blood pressure.

Now that you have the facts, it’s time to take a sip and buckle down to work. Grab a mug and make your choice.

For more tea and coffee related articles check out the following links: