Spoon University Logo
yuh
yuh
Lifestyle

Chopped: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Spoon University at UFL chapter.

Going into my second year as Editorial Director of Spoon University at UF and third year being in Spoon, I decided this was the year to learn how to cook. Yes, I love writing about food and restaurants, I love eating food, but I really cannot cook. Cooking in college has always felt daunting to me. I’ve often described it to friends like this; some people can only see the letters on the page and struggle to put sentences together. It’s the same thing for me with cooking. I can see all the individual ingredients, just not the meals that could come from them. After I explained that, I realized that college is literally Chopped.

You have a bunch of random ingredients in your cupboard, about an hour of time between classes to cook, and the anxiety that pairs perfectly with it all. I had Tori, the Spoon UF Photography Director and the photographer who paired up with me on this article, choose four random ingredients from my kitchen to kick off the first-ever Spoon UF Chopped: College Edition.

The Mystery Basket Ingredients

chopped
Victoria Vargas

Tori chose canned chickpeas, banana chips, cilantro, and taco sauce as my four “basket” ingredients. The rules of the game were simple and familiar; using other staple ingredients in your kitchen, make a meal featuring all four ingredients. Since I was making the rules myself, I decided I didn’t have to completely transform the ingredients like in Chopped.

My Plan

chopped
Victoria Vargas

After pacing my kitchen in a panicked stroll, I decided to make Chipotle-inspired cilantro lime rice, which used one of the mystery basket ingredients of cilantro. After I had the rice going, I thought about what I normally eat rice with. I looked in my fridge and saw I had small tortillas; I could make tacos. 

Cooking The Shiz

chopped
Victoria Vargas

With Tori’s very helpful suggestion, I added garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the chickpeas I had drained and was roasting on the stove. While the chickpeas and rice were cooking, I was pulling out all the toppings for the tacos. I got shredded sharp cheddar cheese, feta cheese, pickled onions that I thankfully had in the fridge, and of course the taco sauce. My only qualm were the stupid banana chips. What was I to do with them?

The Final Result

chopped
Victoria Vargas

In the end, I ended up drizzling the taco sauce over top of one taco and crushed the banana chips and topped them on the other taco. And I still had no idea how they were going to taste. 

chopped
Victoria Vargas

Chopped: Final Elimination Round

chopped
Victoria Vargas

If I were reading this article I’m not sure I would believe this, but the tacos were actually really amazing and ended up being vegetarian. If it weren’t for this challenge, I would’ve never thought to use chickpeas as my main protein in the taco. Honestly, I would recommend this recipe to any college students, and I think it serves as a good reminder that you can literally make anything from what you have in your kitchen/dorm. Just pretend you’re in Chopped and get creative with it.

Hey guys! I'm Julia & I'm a first year masters student here at UF. I served as Editorial Director for Spoon UF for two years, and I now am the Managing Editor. Coffee is my love language, so I tend to write about it a lot.