We can all relate to the idea of childhood nostalgia, especially when it comes to our unique food cravings. Growing up in a family that planned Christmas dinner as if it were the Royal Wedding, I realized how important this area of my life was. You might identify with the love language of words of affirmation or quality time, but my love language is food. My grandma, who I refer to as Memom, has been showing her love for my family for as long as I can remember. When I think of her, I instantly think of her undeniably delicious coffee cake.

Here's the recipe:

Olivia Berens
Olivia Berens

Step One:

The first thing you’re going to want to do is get all of your ingredients together- including getting your eggs and butter to room temperature. In this same step, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Step Two:

The next thing you’re going to do is make the streusel, which is arguably the greatest part of this cake. For this, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and sugar. Once combined, mix in the cold cubed butter. You’re going to want to break out your God-given tools (your hands) and work the butter into the mixture until it resembles a coarse crumble, as seen below. You can store this in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the cake.

Lauren Witte

Step Three:

When thinking about how you will cream your butter and sugar, make sure to ask your roommate if you can borrow her fancy Kitchen Aid mixer. If not, a hand mixer will do. Worst case scenario, a whisk will produce a cake AND huge muscles. Once you’ve sorted out that decision, whip the butter and sugar together and then add eggs one at a time. Pour the vanilla into the mixture and let the machine work for about 5 minutes until it is light and fluffy.

Lauren Witte

Step Four:

Now, mix your dry ingredients which include the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk this until combined. 

Lauren Witte

Step Five:

This next step is very important. You are going to pour 1/3 of the flour mixture into the mixer and stir until combined. After, add ½ of the sour cream. Alternate between the two until everything is incorporated. Do. Not. Overmix. Once your cake pan is greased, you can layer in half of the batter with half of the streusel mixture on top. Repeat. You’re almost there, I promise. 

Lauren Witte

Step Six:

As soon as you put the cake in the oven, you can smell the vanilla, cinnamon, and butter. I would imagine this is what heaven smells like. You will let your masterpiece cook for about an hour and fifteen minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when being inserted into the middle of the cake. Let it cool for as long as you can resist, and then dig in. I mean... look at that cake. 

Olivia Berens

How The Coffee Cake Crumbled...

I have learned to show my love through cooking for others, and I have my Memom to thank for that. I’m often reminded that the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach. In making this coffee cake, I was able to reminisce on the memories of my childhood. What foods make you feel right at home?