Notes

**In addition to the great eats that these places offer, each restaurant has wonderful gluten free options. 

** Each restaurant name is linked to their site so you can explore menus, stories, etc. 

The BEST Chapel Hill Eats

1. PURPLE BOWL: Purple Bowl is my favorite place in Chapel Hill. Not only are the açaí bowls nothing short of perfection, but the staff is super friendly. At purple bowl you can order a bowl off the menu, or you can create your own. Another great thing about Purple Bowl is they also offer toasts, coffee, and snacks like energy balls. Purple Bowl is a healthy meal that always makes you feel good. This restaurant is truly an asset to Chapel Hill and the Carolina community.

St Clair Morrison
St Clair Morrison

2. LUCHA TIGRE: Lucha Tigre is SOOO good. The restaurant offers a Latin-Asian Fusion cuisine that is sure to fulfill your craving for yummy food. From dumplings to guacamole, everything at Lucha is spectacular. I highly recommend the general tso's chicken, the summer rolls, and the guac. Also, the drinks are really great. No matter what you get here, you can't go wrong!

St Clair Morrison

3. MEDITERRANEAN DELI: Med Deli is the best mediterranean food in the world (not an exaggeration). It is also attached to a Mediterranean market, which offers many Mediterranean specialties. Med Deli can be overwhelming at first because the menu is quite large, and they have cases of food which you can also order. I recommend getting a sampler, which allows you to get multiple items out of the case. This way, you can try a little bit of everything! My favorites are the stuffed grape leaves (greek- cold), quinoa tabouli, and cucumber salad. They also have many gluten free and vegan options, including gluten free pita bread. I always get a side of hummus and tzatziki with my meal (would HIGHLY recommend both). 

St Clair Morrison
St Clair Morrison

4. ACME: When my parents are in town, our first stop is Acme. Acme is in Carrboro, which is a town right next to Chapel Hill, and very close. We always get the cornbread to start (which is also gluten free) and then I get my favorite dish in Chapel Hill: Blackened Salmon from Acme. The Blackened Salmon is paired with cheese grits, black beans, green tomato salsa verde, and cilantro. It's hard to describe this dish with any other word but amazing. If you stop into Acme, you must try this dish. Although I am partial to the salmon, all of Acme's choices are great and very flavorful.

St Clair Morrison

5. AL's BURGER SHACK: Just wow. Al's is a staple to the Chapel Hill community and was voted best burger in the U.S., according to TripAdvisor. Al's burgers are pasture-raised, have no antibiotics, and no hormones. AL's offers a variety of different burgers including burgers with jam, jalapeño, and guacamole. My favorite is the classic burger. AL's also offers crispy crinkle-cut fries with sea salt and rosemary (*chef kiss*), and sweet potato fries tossed in sea salt and brown sugar (*another chef kiss*). I like to get half and half fries so I can have both regular and sweet potato. No matter what type of burger you order, the fries are a must ! If burgers aren't your thing, AL's also offers hot dogs, sandwiches, and veggie burgers. The restaurant offers gluten free buns too. If a regular size burger at AL's is too much for you, you can get a "buddy size" burger.

St Clair Morrison

6. MERRITT'S GRILL: This place is a Chapel Hill classic. The best BLT you will ever eat comes from Merritt's Grill. Merritt's introduced the famous BLT and opened their doors in 1992. Not only do they have the best BLT'S EVER, but they also offer soups, and other types of sandwiches like chicken salad sandwiches and veggie sandwiches. The classic BLT is pretty good, but adding guacamole or chicken salad can make this staple sandwich even better. Also, Merritt's offers gluten free bread (a plus for someone with intolerances). Merritt's has been featured in Our State Magazine and has won awards like "Best sandwich in Orange County." You truly cannot go wrong with any sandwich from Merritt's. They have a lot of outside seating, which makes for the perfect lunch spot on a sunny day in Chapel Hill. 

St Clair Morrison
St Clair Morrison

7. BARTACO: Last but not least, Bartaco. Although this is a chain restaurant, it is so yummy. Bartaco is my go-to lunch or dinner spot when I am craving a great margarita and tacos. The food is always so fresh and the service is wonderful. I have been to multiple Bartaco locations, and I have had a good experience at every location. I am a big fan of the tuna tatako taco and shrimp taco. I always get my tacos in lettuce and add a side of pineapple. You cannot go wrong with anything you get at Bartaco. I recently tried the ahi tuna rice bowl and the spiced chicken verde rice bowl. They were both delicious. On top of the great food, the atmosphere is another plus, as it makes you feel like you have been transported to a seaside restaurant, and who doesn't love the beach?

St Clair Morrison
St Clair Morrison
St Clair Morrison

And that's a wrap....

Chapel Hill is FULL of great restaurants with lots to offer, I just named a few of the best. If you live in Chapel Hill or go to UNC, I encourage you to try as many as you can. As I am a graduating senior, I will no longer get to have all of these great eats as often as I would like, but I hope you can enjoy them for me!