"Riverdale" star Camila Mendes made headlines last week stating that she's "done with dieting," and I am so here for it. Following the backlash of Weight Watchers giving teens a discount and the general body-obsessed culture we live in, more celebs need to be coming forward and providing this type of optimism. Here's everything you need to know about Camila Mendes' new affirmation and why you should be done with dieting, too. 

A Little Background on Mendes

This is not the first time that Camila Mendes has been open about her body image. She previously posted on Instagram about her new partnership with Project Heal (an amazing eating disorder awareness non-profit association) and came clean about her past history with an eating disorder.

Mendes has had firsthand experience with eating disorders both personally and in her family: "I can say from experience that eating disorders are serious mental illnesses ... Growing up, I watched my big sister suffer from one for many years, and I've experienced periods of my life when I've suffered symptoms as well." 

The Mic Drop Insta

In collaboration with Project Heal's "Done With Dieting" campaign, Camila Mendes posted a  Instagram explaining just why she's done with dieting. She realized that she "allowed [her] obsession with being thin to consume [her]" and lost "all the pastimes that brought [her] joy" in the process. 

Her entire post was fire, but this line hit home the hardest: "I’m sick of the toxic narrative that the media consistently feeds us: that being thin is the ideal body type. A healthy body is the ideal body type, and that will look different for every person."

She's Not Alone

Mendes isn't the only celebrity speaking out. Demi Lovato has never been shy about her recovery from an eating disorder, helping break the mental health stigma that still plagues many. She recently released a documentary on Youtube, "Simply Complicated," about her journey, and she's continuing now with the #DoneWithDieting campaign.

She joined in with Camila Mendes, telling People Magazine that "I stopped dieting and have gained a little weight so it’s been a struggle, but at the same time, I’m happier because I’m not restricting myself from certain foods and I’m no longer food shaming myself.” 

As someone who is personally in recovery from an eating disorder, I am so inspired by the comments of Mendes. The "Done with Dieting" campaign forces all of us, diagnosed or not, to reevaluate our relationship with food and our bodies. Not only is this whole concept that "skinny is healthy" ridiculous, but we also need to find new ways to value ourselves beyond the number on the scale.

This week is National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, so it's the perfect time to follow Camila Mendes' lead and declare yourself #DoneWithDieting. Your output to the world is far more than a jean size or bikini body pic, so join the fight to stop diet mentality. 

If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, find resources here, at the National Eating Disorders Association website.