Everyone loves a good ol’ fashioned crispy, saucy and tender Buffalo wing. There’s nothing better than chowing down on a plate full of wings at your favorite bar or while watching a big game. Next time you’re out for wings, impress your friends with these cool facts.
1. Buffalo wings were invented in 1964 by mistake.
The most widely believed story about the creation of Buffalo wings is that Teressa Bellissmo invented them at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY when she received chicken wings instead of the chicken necks she had ordered. We’re sure happy about that delivery mistake.
2. Buffalo wings gained popularity because of the Buffalo Bills.
In the early 90’s the team made it to the Super Bowl four times in a row which put a spotlight on these tasty Super Bowl snacks.
3. July 29th is National Chicken Wing Day.
Can you say best freaking day of the year? In 1977 the mayor of Buffalo proclaimed that July 29th would forever more be known as National Chicken Wing Day. Thank you, Mr. Mayor.
4. The world record for most wings eaten is 444 wings in 26 minutes.
In the 2015 Wing Bowl, Patrick “Deep Dish” Bertoletti ate 444 wings while Molly Schuyler came in a close second with 440 wings. #girlpower.
5. It’s widely believed that Frank’s Red Hot was the hot sauce used on the first batch of wings.
Take that Sriracha.
6. The 2015 National Buffalo Wing Festival is on Labor Day weekend.
This festival hosts crowds of over 80,000 people each year. Who’s down for a road trip?
7. The Pacific Region consumes the least wings in the country.
Step it up west coast. The South consumes the most wings in country.
8. The average American eats 90 wings per year.
Hey, it’s never bad to be above average, amirite? Wings have become a staple of American cuisine and we should celebrate that. .
9. Americans eat about 1.25 billion wings on Super Bowl Sunday alone.
That many wings could circle the Grand Canyon 120 times.
10. In 2013 there was a chicken wing shortage.
Here’s hoping that you were not a victim of this terrible shortage.
11. Ranch is the most popular wing dipping sauce.
Check out these spicy articles:
- What Loving Spicy Foods Says About Your Personality
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Spicy Food Tolerance
- The Dos and Don’ts of Eating Spicy Foods