A new rivalry has brewed between Boston University and Boston College, it’s off the ice and into the kitchen. I went on a quest to find out the true winner in this week’s brunch brawl. Which school would come out as the victor of the best brunch? As the breakfast snob I am, this was one battle I was excited to get in the middle of to find a winner.

On the BU side, we have Allston Diner: a small hole-in-the-wall that serves up a variety of brunch favorites and southern comforts. When I arrived late Saturday morning the line was already out the door, but do not be discouraged, the wait is worth it. Their menu ranges from chicken & waffles to your more traditional eggs and omelettes. I opted for their French toast solely for the fact that it’s made with thick pieces of Texas toast and covered in powdered sugar. There is nothing better than using a thick bread to craft French toast.

brunch

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

average

Address: 431 Cambridge St. Allston, MA 02134
Hours of Operation: 8 am-3 pm Mon-Fri

Up next we have BC with Johnny’s Luncheonette in Newton. Outfitted with red vinyl booths and retro wall designs, Johnny’s really sets the mood of your typical diner. As they are also quite busy on the weekends I recommend checking out their vast menu while waiting for a table.

The multi-paged menu has offerings for all of your sweet and savory cravings. I tried their special sweet potato pancakes that came topped with fresh peaches, candied pecans and homemade whipped cream.

brunch

Photo by Dorothy Ballowe

average

Address: 30 Langley Rd. Newton, MA 02459
Hours: 7 am-9 pm Mon-Sat, 8 am-8 pm Sunday

After eating brunch both days this passed weekend and loving every moment of it, I’ll leave you with the task of visiting these diners to crown your own winner. I have to personally pick Allston Diner, not just because I’m a BU student, but because that French toast was hands down the best I’ve ever had.

Fulfill more of your brunch needs with these: