The vegetarian craze has been up and coming for a while now, it has lead to people creatively reinventing their favorite foods in veggie form. As a result, veggie burgers have quickly become a popular trend.

Some people have the natural reaction of disgust and/or confusion. The question that usually follows is, “Why would you try to fix something that is already so perfect?”

Veggie Burger

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Yes, burgers may already be perfect, but the reality is there is not just one way to make a burger. Here are some tips on the basics of mastering your own veggie burger.

Veggie Burger

Photo by Parisa Soraya

The Foundation:

It’s important to consider the base of a veggie burger. Veggie burgers can be composed out of just good ol’ veggies themselves, but some like to change it up a bit and throw all sorts of things into the mix. It’s important to realize you have options. So, here is a breakdown list of some things possible for a veggie burger’s base.

1. Beans

Veggie Burger

Photo courtesy of sydneyveganclub.com.au

There are so many types of protein-packed legumes out there. The most common used are black beans or lentils, due to their ability to pick up other flavors. It’s possible to use other types of beans, too or combining many types.

2. Veggies

Veggie Burger

Photo by Christin Urso

Vegetables are obviously essential to veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers consist of ingredients like mushrooms, onions, and corn. It’s important to pick vegetables that add substance but won’t water down the burger. Pick ones that add flavor but don’t overpower each other.

3. Nuts

Veggie Burger

Photo by Kirby Barth

Nuts are great sources of protein, flavor, and healthy fats. Paired with the right veggies and seasoning, they’re a great solution for consumers who aren’t huge fans of beans.

4. Tofu and Grains

Veggie Burger

Photo courtesy of imgur.com

Tofu is not hugely popular in veggie burgers.  Grains, however, are widely used in veggie burgers. The more popular grains being quinoa, rice, or wild rice. They are good options that can be used to replace the previously mentioned bases, or they can act as additions.

5. Seasoning

Veggie Burger

Gif courtesy of imgur.com

Veggie burgers are generally well-seasoned, it brings out some flavors without overpowering the blend of ingredients when done well.

Veggie Burger

Gif courtesy of Huffington Post

It doesn’t matter what your veggie burger is made of, just dig in and enjoy it.