Bodegas are part of New York culture, spread all throughout the city (and parts of the East coast), always pulling through with some of the best food. There's nothing like going to your favorite corner store and ordering a sandwich that you know is going to be bomb every time you get it. But for those that are new to the bodega scene or are wanting to try something new, you may not know what to order. If that's you then here are bodega menu items that will always hit the spot:

Ham & Cheese with Lettuce & Tomatoes

There's nothing like the classics, but a ham & cheese sandwich (usually on a hero) from a bodega is not like the one you make at home. What sets bodega ham & cheese apart is the widely used Boar's Head brand. If you've never had Boar's Head ham & cheese, you need to add it to your bucket list because it will definitely elevate your sandwich. Throw in some lettuce, tomatoes, salt & pepper, and you've got yourself a lunch fit for a king. 

BLT

You can get a yummy bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich at just about any bodega. It's always interested me that this sandwich doesn't include cheese but is still yummy. Usually ordered on a hero, you won't be going hungry after eating one of these bad boys.

Bacon, Egg, & Cheese

Whoever said bacon and eggs was just for breakfast was dead wrong. A yummy baconeggandcheese can be enjoyed at any time of the day, and can fortunately be found at your nearest bodega. It's commonly ordered on a roll.

Grilled Chicken Sandwich

A yummy grilled chicken sandwich is filling and perfect when you're starving. This sandwich works best on a hero, and pairs well with a bag of chips. I recommend adding lettuce, cheese, and avocado.

#SpoonTip: Avocado will be an additional cost, so if you have a budget you'd like to stick to, ask how much extra it will be. It may not be a dramatic additional cost. The bodega I go to only charges $1 for avocado.

Grilled Cheese

bread, toast, sweet, grilled cheese sandwich, pastry, cake, honey, butter
Christin Urso

Sometimes basic is best. A nice, toasty grilled cheese sandwich is a great option. Pair this with a bag of chips and/or some soup if your bodega has it on the menu. You can't go wrong.

Chopped Cheese

This sandwich made from ground beef, onions, melted cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes, is usually ordered on a hero and is super delicious. Think of it as the cheeseburger of sandwiches. This is something you will find in any New York bodega, as it is considered a staple of the Big Apple.

Cheeseburger

sandwich
Claire Couron

If you're not feeling a sandwich the resembles a cheeseburger, many bodegas these days have actual cheeseburgers on the menu, and so far, I haven't had a bodega burger I didn't like. It's everything you love about bodega sandwiches in burger form instead. Make sure you get the works (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, ketchup, salt, pepper, etc.) to optimize taste bud sensations.

#SpoonTip: If a bodega makes burgers, they are likely to have veggie burgers as well. Be sure to ask.

Beef Patty

Another common menu item in bodegas is beef patties. A Jamaican food that's taken New York by storm, beef patties are flaky, yellow pastries filled with seasoned beef. You can also order this with cheese. Beef patties make a great snack or side to your meal. 

#SpoonTip: There are also many restaurants all over New York that will serve beef patties, including pizzerias. In addition, Carribbean restaurants and some pizzerias will serve beef patty with coco bread, which is literally a beef patty in between two pieces of coco bread. 

Bonus:

Butter Roll

You would be more likely to order this for a quick breakfast rather than your lunch, but every bodega will have butter rolls on the menu. It's simply a toasted roll with butter and shouldn't cost more than a dollar, but it will definitely hit the spot, especially with a hot cup of coffee.

Keep in mind, bodega menus can be quite extensive. These are just a few common items that you can not only at just about any bodega but can also be sure that you will leave satisfied. The best part of this is that you can always order your own concoction. The possibilities are nearly limitless. So don't be afraid to head to your local bodega and order something you've never tried before. You may find a new favorite. What are some of your current bodega faves?

Check out What To Eat In NYC According to a New York Native for suggestions on what to eat when in the Big Apple.