Are you tired of dining hall food? Do you feel like the options are always the same, and you’d do anything to spice up your meals? Well, here are some tricks on ways to make your everyday food just a little more interesting. The following are tips for students by students on ways to help you enhance any boring meal into an unforgettable dining experience.

1) The Chicken Salad

RPCC

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

It seems so simple, but so many people don’t think about it! When the Grill Station is serving chicken, why not brighten up that plain iceberg lettuce with a healthy protein. All you need to do is slice up some of that chicken breast and toss it over your favorite salad mix. For an added twist, try coating the chicken in BBQ sauce before adding it to your salad.

2) The Secret Cookie Option

RPCC

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

I swear these are the absolute best cookies you can get at the dining hall. Yes, they’re gluten free, but even wheat-lovers swear by this delicacy. Located in the back drink station fridge in RPCC (past the ice cream coolers), these cookies are a million times better than the regular ones available with all the other desserts.

NOTE: Please please please take these sparingly! I know they’re incredible, but make sure to save some for those of us who don’t have the option of eating the other desserts.

3) DIY Steamed Veggies

RPCC

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

This is one of the more simple options in the list, but when you’re really desperate to try any other kind of food, it’s a great option. Just fill a bowl with some of the raw salad bar vegetables, add some water from the drink dispenser, pop it in the microwave for a couple minutes, and voila! My favorite is steamed broccoli with a bit of pepper from the sauce station.

4) The Everyday Sundae

RPCC

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

Instead of your typical froyo cone, why not liven up your dessert and throw in a banana from the fruit bins? Don’t forget to dress up your sundae with sprinkles, caramel, strawberries, and any other favorite toppings.

5) The Ice Cream Sandwich

RPCC

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

Because when life give you cookies and ice cream, why not, right? Just snag two cookies from the dessert counter and scoop some ice cream from the coolers in-between. For an added touch, fill a bowl with sprinkles and roll your ice cream cookie in it until all the sides are coated in rainbow delight. Additional chocolate and caramel sauce are optional.

6) Chocolate Covered Oranges with Sea Salt

RPCC

Photo by Jacky Falkenberg

Last but not least, this option isn’t for the faint-hearted. You start off my peeling an orange from the food bin (assuming you find a ripe one). Then you spread the slices on a plate and cover them in the chocolate sauce found by the froyo dispensers. To finish it off, ask one of the workers if they have any sea salt to spare (sometimes they’re in a good mood) to sprinkle over your delicious dessert! If all else fails, we found that regular salt is not a bad alternative.

Creation credit goes to Rosana Murphy ’17 and Danielle Kar ’17. Happy eating!