New York undeniably has some of the best food in the world, but with a long list of Italian restaurants, how do you find the best pasta? Avoid the tourist traps that pop up on Yelp and TripAdvisor and check out this list. 

1. Lilia 

Arguably the greatest pasta in NYC, Lilia is known for their handcrafted pasta and month-long reservation wait (even Jennifer Lawrence had to wait). This is definitely the restaurant you take your parents to in the hopes that they will pay the bill. A must try is the Mafaldini (the ribbon pasta) with Pink Peppercorn Sauce.  

2. Scarpetta 

A personal favorite of mine, Scarpetta made me decide that I could never have a gluten-free diet. Known for their not so simple spaghetti with tomato and basil, Scarpetta never disappoints. If you needed any other reassurances that this restaurant is amazing, Kim Kardashian held her rehearsal dinner at the Scarpetta in Los Angeles. 

3. Barbuto 

Barbuto’s chicken might have made them famous, but their pasta dishes could go up against almost any restaurant. With large portions of pasta such as Carbonara and Bucatini all’Amatriciana, you can’t go wrong here. Aside from the pasta, Barbuto’s kale salad is the only salad I’ve ever enjoyed, so it is a must if you eat here. Barbuto has a great neighborhood and cozy atmosphere that can be challenging to find in NYC. 

4. Momofuku Nishi 

Although the Momofuku franchise is known for their Asian inspired dishes, their pasta should not be overlooked. Momofuku Nishi is known for their unique pasta dishes such as Ceci e Pepe—a cheeky version of cacio e pepe—so you won't find spaghetti and meatballs here. If you are still hungry after dinner, check out Momofuku Nishi's sister bakery, Milk Bar

5. Carbone 

Although this restaurant might be slightly overpriced, there is no denying it has some of the best pasta in NYC. Their Spicy Rigatoni Vodka made them one of the hottest Italian restaurants in the city. Carbone has a reservation wait so long that there is a website dedicated to "Where To Go When You Can't Get Into Carbone." 

6. Bar Pitti 

The self-proclaimed "home to many celebrity sightings," Bar Pitti is the no-frills spectacular Italian food that you have been looking for. Costumers rave about their vodka sauce and superb people-watching location. Bar Pitti only excepts cash, so remember to go to the ATM before!      

7. Gnocceria by Luzzo's

Gnoccheria by Luzzo’s is every gnocchi lovers dream. With a menu filled with endless combinations of gnocchi and sauces, Gnoccheria by Luzzo’s has something for everyone. The Tris Signature Dish for Two is a must if you go to the restaurant. If you need another reason to check out this restaurant, for those who live in the area, they deliver! 

8. San Marzano Pasta Fresca

Renowned for their $9 pasta, San Marzano Pasta Fresca provides NYC with some of the best cheap eats around. With classic plates of pasta such as Spaghetti and Meatballs and Farfalle with Pesto, you can’t go wrong. All of the pasta is made fresh daily.

9. Don Angi

Sometimes "Instagrammable" food looks better than it tastes, but this is not the case for Don Angi. Their Lasagna for Two has spread through Instagram accounts like wildfire and for good reason - it tastes amazing. For people who do not like lasagna or can't find someone willing to split the dish, Don Angi has exceptional Gnocchi and Broken Meatball Ragu.  

10. Rosemary's

Rosemary's is an Italian restaurant serving farm-to-table food. They are known for their homemade pasta, pizza, and focaccia. Rosemary's unique Carbonara with Scallions and Guanciale is my favorite carbonara in NYC. Another plus of this restaurant is that they do not take reservations, so if you are looking to eat at a restaurant on a whim, this is your place!   

After reading this extensive list, which pasta are you eating first?