It's no lie that Vermont is home to some of the best local, healthful food in the country.  After only living here since the end of August, I have come to realize how lucky I am to be going to school in an area that values food in such an immense way.  One of the things I love to do the most, and don't knock until you've tried this, is walk around grocery stores, just browsing.  This tends to be a little easier to do when it's not crazy busy at stores, so I would avoid weekend mornings and the after-work rush of people needing to pick up dinner for that night.  If you find yourself in downtown Burlington, one of the best things you can do for yourself is take a stop at City Market, one of the cooperative markets in the city.  Besides offering amazing food choices, they also hold events and cooking classes, Rally for Change events in which customers round up to support local non-profits, and more.  I always make sure to check out their specials and deals online too, so I can save money here and there, which is never a bad thing, especially to a college student.  

Here's my list of the ten things I always buy when I'm at City Market

1. Aqua Vitea Kombucha ON TAP

Made in Middlebury, Vermont, this kombucha brand not only tastes incredible, but offers several health benefits, such as improving digestion, strengthening the immune system and detoxing your body. First time kombucha fans can purchase a 16 ounce or larger bottle, then fill up with the kombucha of their choice, from the varieties on tap.  My personal favorite is the BlueBernie (#JustVermontThings) or Strawberry Sage- both light, refreshing, and bubbly.  

2. Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Tortilla Chips

First off, I support this company wholeheartedly.  Not only are they doing incredible things for my stomach, by providing me with these incredible chips, but they are promoting sustainable business actions, with their support of positive farming practices and a commitment to non-GMOs.  I wish that more brands were as open and transparent about their practices as Food Should Taste Good.  

If you like tortilla chips, you should try these chips.  Excellent dipped in any sort of concoction, from guacamole, to hummus, to salsa, but also superb just out of the bag, with nothing to accompany. 

3. Frozen American Flatbread Pizza

This is no average frozen pizza, ladies and gentlemen.  If you're a UVM student, you've definitely found yourself at American Flatbread at least once or twice or three times...a month (or is that just me?).  Buuuut, the downside to this glory of a pizzeria is that everyone else in the whole world pretty much is aware of how incredible their thin-crust, wood-fired oven 'za tastes, meaning wait times on a Friday night can sometimes exceed two hours.  

American Flatbread sells several varieties of their pizza in many grocery stores, including Hannaford if that's your shopping place of choice up here in Burlington.  My personal favorite is the Revolution - onions, mushrooms, sauce and cheese. It's perfect for a nice night in, and you only have to wait twenty minutes for that mouthwatering meal.  

4. Bulk Coffee 

Raise your hand if you blew through all your retail points your first semester at Henderson's buying iced coffee.  You're not alone- I did it too!  Add in the addition of oat milk and maybe a pump of flavored syrup, and you're easily looking at a $4 coffee.  I realized, although much too late, that a good coffee maker is not that expensive, and buying coffee in bulk is an amazing deal compared to prepackaged.  

There are several different varieties to choose from, depending on your caffeine preferences, and there's even a grinder for the beans in store, so you don't have to worry about the expense of one at home.  A pro tip: buy your bulk ingredients on Thursdays to save 10%! 

5. Dairy Free Yogurt

As someone that chooses to avoid dairy pretty actively, I have struggled to find good yogurt alternatives in most grocery stores.  City Market has an abundance of yogurts, from coconut milk to almond milk to cashew milk to everywhere in between.  As someone with a nut allergy, it is frustrating to find yogurts to get good protein, while also avoiding the typical almond milk yogurts that most grocery stores carry.  City Market has a great selection that makes it easier for me! While more expensive than most yogurts containing dairy, City Market often runs sales on these products, so check their specials to see when your favorite will be cheaper! 

6. BAKED GOODS

I am not ashamed to admit that I am a lover of all things flaky pastry.  Give me a croissant and I'll be happy for hours. City Market's baked good section is off the chain, from breads made with love at local bakeries, to cookies, to cupcakes to eclairs to everything you could possibly think of.  All delicious, all available in one convenient location, all stupendously tempting, all making me think about them right now and wishing I was eating one of them! 

7. Polar Seltzer

This brand of seltzer always makes me think of my friend, Isabel, who uses her empty bottles to play a bowling game with her floormates, which is one of the ways that they bonded at the beginning of the year.  

At only 99 cents a bottle, this seltzer is a steal, and provides an healthier alternative to soda, since it has 0 calories and no sugar.  There are countless flavors, especially since there are always new seasonal flavors being released that I'm anxious to try.  My favorite currently is Pink Lady Apple and Lemon, but I think it's a seasonal flavor and might be gone soon, in which case, I'll need to go stock up as soon as possible.  And at this price, I don't feel shame about buying quite a few bottles at my next shopping trip. 

8. Cascadian Farms Maple Brown Sugar Granola

As someone with nut allergies, it is really nice to be able to find a granola that doesn't have peanuts, almonds, or walnuts, which it seems most granolas do.  This granola is whole grain oats and crispy rice, with a light maple brown sugar taste throughout.  I like to sprinkle it on top of yogurt and berries, or eat as cereal with oat milk, or grab a handful and eat as a snack...really, I'll eat it anyway I can think of.  It's also a relatively "clean" brand, with only a few simple ingredients, all of which I can pronounce and know what they are. 

9. Guyaki Yerba Mate 

I'm a UVM student, so you should have known this was coming.  I think this needs little explanation.  

10. Carrot Ginger Soup (from the Soup Bar)

One of the best soups I've ever had.  It tastes like a warm, comforting hug.  Carrots are one of my favorite vegetables to begin with, so I love this soup-ified version of them.  Adding in ginger gives the slightest spice, but not one that will make your mouth burn.  Creamy and decadent, but light enough that you won't feel like you need to lie in bed and digest after.  Also, vegan and gluten free! It also reheats very nicely, so you can grab another portion to have the next day! 

Those are my top picks for City Market Co-Op in downtown Burlington! I'm so intrigued to try more from this store and see what else they have to offer, as new products are being added to shelves every day.  Think of something I forgot?  Let me know what your favorites are! 

Happy Shopping, and remember your reusable bags!!