As downtown Winston-Salem is evolving, its culinary scene is too. Whether you need to escape campus for a little, want a nourishing meal, or wish to explore this up and coming city, there is a noteworthy restaurant to eat at in Winston Salem for everyone of all budgets and moods. 

1. Broke AF

Sometimes we all need a break from dining hall food. Unfortunately, I think it's safe to say that most college students don't have hundreds to spend on a good meal. That's where Mooney's Mediterranean Café comes in. A quaint Mediterranean restaurant, complete with mezze, pitas, and platters of everything from hummus to falafel, it serves good food that won't break the bank. 

2. Feeling Lucky

Whether it's a Friday, Saturday, or just a random Tuesday, date nights are always a good idea. Canteen Market and Bistro is the perfect place for a night with your special someone. It's an elegant and upbeat atmosphere with a delicious spread of twists on American classics that come from local farms. 

3. Hungover 

Mary's Gourmet Diner is the number one restaurant you need to eat at in Winston Salem if you want good brunch. Hungover you will thank you later – after that bacon, egg, and cheese on a biscuit or the giant stack of buttermilk pancakes. Just make sure you're with people who you really like because there's no reservations and usually a bit of a line. 

4. Party Mood 

When you want to go out with your friends for good food and good drinks, Alma Mexicana is the place to be. It's a sister restaurant to The Porch, so you already know it has to be good. It has an upbeat and fun vibe with a bar, high tables, and outside seating. You'll get lost in heavenly Margaritas and tacos all night long. It's definitely one of the liveliest restaurants to eat at in Winston! 

5. Parents Checking-In 

Whether your parents are here for Parent's Weekend or just wanted to say hi, be sure you make the most of their visit. Yes, that means going to a nice restaurant with delicious food. Give your parents a taste of the South at Mozelle's. They put a fresh twist on southern classics, creating an unforgettable Southern dining experience. 

6. Trying to be Healthy 

A classic Winston-Salem favorite is Village Juice,  located both downtown and on Stratford. Their menu will make being healthy easy. With a variety of decadent salads, smoothie bowls, smoothies, and juices, you'll forget you're eating fruits and vegetables and wonder why you didn't start eating healthy sooner. 

7. Escaping Everyday Life 

Sometimes we just need to get away – get away from people, from schoolwork, and from any responsibility. That's when you find yourself at Camino Bakery. There's a lunch menu that changes daily and you cna pick your choice of amazing sandwiches and quiches, cookies and brownies, and a drink. Or you could just pick your own favorites separately. Snack on an array of pastries, breads, and cakes. They have tons of coffees, teas, lattes, and more to warm you up or quench your thirst. It's the perfect place to have a good, comforting lunch and just hang out for a while. 

8. Brunch with an Old Friend

If you want to have a casual brunch where you can just sit, talk, and catch up on life, Penny Path Café and Crêpe Shop, in Reynolda Village, is just the place. This restaurant just opened last fall and it's buzzing. It's a calm and cozy atmosphere with delicious crêpes, both sweet and savory, that you definitely can't find anywhere else in Winston-Salem. 

9. Good Food Without the Hassle

Going out to dinner with friends should be fun. You shouldn't have to split up with a big group or have to get dressed up. So when you want casual, comforting Tex-Mex food, The Porch (Alma Mexicana's sister restaurant) is that just the place. Make sure you make a reservation ahead of time since it's always hopping! In this relaxed but still vibrant atmosphere, you can share some guac and chips and casually chat while still eating out.  

10. Short on Time 

When you're in a hurry but still want a meal out, May Way is your best option. It's a small Chinese restaurant in Reynolda Village with really good dumplings, noodles, and steamed buns. The service is really fast and the food will definitely satisfy you.

There's always a reasons to dine out and now you know the best restaurants to eat at in Winston Salem. Depending on your mood, be sure you try every noteworthy spot.