It's cold, it's dark, and the snow is beginning to fall... winter is officially here. Students are in the final stretch of the fall term, and the prospect of home is nearing. As much as this is an exciting thought, we still have to get through exams and (hopefully) pass. All this leads to stress, and stress leads to cravings... so when you're seeking some family comfort, look no further than Kingston's home-style restaurants to remind you that there's no place like home.

1. MLTDWN's Classic Grilled Cheese

This cult favourite is the taste of your childhood. MLTDWN's classic grilled cheese is made of two delicious types of cheese and toasty warm bread that will make your tummy as warm as your memories... and the price will make your wallet happy too. 

2. Harper's Burger Bar's Chilli Cheese Fries 

If you're like me, nothing beats homemade food, but this comes in at a close second. Harper's chilli cheese fries are a whole lot of cheese and a whole lot of chilli, all atop their famous crispy waffle fries. A quick walk from campus will lead you to homemade happiness.

3. Copper Penny's Fries

Any Kingstonian can tell you, classic Kingston is classic Copper Penny. Pick one of the two locations to come fill your face with old style, thick cut, french fries that are sure to fill those cravings. Try them yourself! But you can take it from me, these fries are LEGEND-(wait for it)-DARY.

4. Portsmouth Tavern's Burgers  

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good McDonald's burger from time to time, but NOTHING beats an authentic fire-grilled burger. Located about a fifteen minute walk from campus, in the Portsmouth Harbour, it's been a classic pitstop for students post football games. Make your way down to Kingston's waterfront to this unique tavern to enjoy a drink and a good burger. I promise you won't regret it

5. Bubba's Poutine 

If you're a lover of cheese and all things gravy, trust me when I say Bubba's is the place for you. Their poutine is out of this world, and is the dish they're best known for in Kingston. It's your traditional, greasy, delicious unhealthy food, and is said to be "the best damn poutine in Kingston"... Try it for yourself and I'm sure you'll agree.

6. Morrison's Milkshakes

Just because its cold outside, doesn't mean that cold food is out of the question. Throw it back to the 50's and come on into Morrison's for a classic milkshake, in the flavours of vanilla, chocolate or strawberry. This longstanding Kingston establishment has been around since 1921, and has been perfecting their recipes ever since. Stop in for a sweet treat, and replace that brain overload with a brain freeze.

7. The Merchant's Spinach Dip

I am a true lover of a good spinach dip, and I think I can say that by far, this is the best one I have ever eaten. It's the perfect blend of cheese and spinach, served with warm pitas and fresh crisp chips. This local pub is located right on Kingston's waterfront, and serves up great comfort food, served right along side of a local brew (if you wish). I'm pretty sure I've tasted every spinach dip in Kingston, and I 10/10 recommend this one.

8. Frankie Pestos' Mac and Cheese

Nothing say's comfort food like a classic bowl of macaroni and cheese. This more 'adult' twist involves a combination of gooey cheeses, bacon, and breadcrumbs... need I say more? The restaurant is a popular spot for a good pasta in Kingston, and while on the more pricey side for mac and cheese, I promise you, it's so worth it.

9. Wooden Heads' Pizza

Pizza is the best. comfort food. ever. Take your pizza game up a notch with a gourmet pizza from Woodenheads. Choose from one of their pre-made classics or build your own, and experience the pizza magic. This uniquely Kingston restaurant is a hot spot for all the locals, so make sure you book a reservation if you want to check it out. 

10. Cacao 70's Fondue 

Of course I've saved the best for last.... What's more comforting than ooey gooey chocolate, fruit, brownies, even waffles? Look no further than Cacao 70 to get that sweet tooth under control. It's home to delicious fondue in more flavours than you thought possible, although I'm a fan of the classic milk chocolate.

#SpoonTip: Order a double and split it with a friend to cut down on the cost!

No matter what kind of food you're craving, make a trip to downtown Kingston to fill up on all the comfort food you could dream of. Kingston's chefs are sure to fill your bellies with all sorts of homemade treats that remind you of the comforts of home.