The best part about all of these documentaries is that they’re easy to find on the internet, whether it be Netflix, Hulu, or Youtube.  So take a little study break, pop some popcorn, sit back, relax and check out the best food documentaries out there.

Beer Wars

This documentary, available on Hulu, takes you into the cutthroat world of the American beer industry. This documentary looks the competition between breweries; especially  beer giants Budweiser, Miller, and Coors, compared to craft breweries trying to make it big in the industry.  If you’re a beer fan, this one’s for you.

“Teach Every Child About Food”

DSCN4632.JPG

Photo by Melissa Cuppett

Jamie Oliver is a British chef and restaurateur who has devoted his career to educating children about food and creating healthier options for school food choices.  This TED talk by Jamie Oliver discusses the obesity epidemic in America and its relationship to the foods served in our school systems. He also produced his own TV show, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, about trying to rehaul the American school lunch system.  Watch this adorable clip from the show.

Food, Inc.

best food documentaries

Photo by takepart.com/foodinc

This groundbreaking film looks at how the food industry has changed in America.  How can a burger at McDonald’s be cheaper than buying fresh vegetables? How can Oprah be sued by the meat industry for saying on her show that she doesn’t eat hamburgers?  If you watch any video on this list, Food, Inc. is the one I recommend most (it’s streaming on Netflix, too).

Our Daily Bread

Our Daily Bread is a documentary made in Germany about factory farming, but with a catch. There is no narrator filling your mind with biased facts or ideas, no one to tell you how to think.  With the exception of baby chicks chirping and machines running, there are no real sounds in this movie.  This allows the viewer to make their own conclusions about the film. The best part? It’s available on Youtube.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

This documentary follows the life of Jiro, arguably the world’s greatest sushi chef.  The beautiful film follows Jiro at work and opens your eyes to the artistry, passion, expertise, and commitment needed to be an excellent sushi chef.  This documentary is also available on Netflix, but be warned – it’s entirely in Japanese with English subtitles.

King Corn

best food documentaries

Photo by impawards.com

Believe it or not, corn goes into just about everything you eat.  From the ice cream in milkshakes to the bun of your hamburger patty, corn can make its way into almost anything on your plate.  Don’t believe me? Watch the whole thing on Youtube here.

Supersize Me

best food documentaries

Photo by hulu.com

If you haven’t already seen Supersize Me, it’s about time you watch. This film looks at the influence of the fast-food industry on personal health, with writer, director, and media personality, Morgan Spurlock as it’s focus.  Spurlock subjects himself to eating only McDonald’s food for three meals a day for an entire month. Check it out here on Hulu.