Going to the store on a budget can be challenging, not to mention the cravings for all things unhealthy. These ten items are the best foods at Publix. They are my go-to snacks when it comes to getting something healthy that won't break the bank. 

Bars 

Tani Horton

KIND Bars are the perfect mid day pick-me-up or for breakfast when in a time crunch. The Caramel Almond and Sea Salt is delicious, low in sugar, gluten free, and high in protein. These bars go on sale at Publix often, so that's a bonus, definitely making these one of the best foods at Publix for $5.39.  

Crackers 

Tani Horton

No grocery store trip is complete without chips, but chips probably are not the best food choice. Thanks to Simple Mills, the Fine Ground Sea Salt crackers are made out of almond flour, sunflower, and flax seeds, as well as a few other organic ingredients. These little crackers pack a lot of flavor (and protein), and are definitely a better alternative to chips. $4.99  

Popcorn 

Tani Horton

Popcorn is a must have for friday movie nights. While this may not be your typical movie theater popcorn, Newman's Own Sea Salt Popcorn does the trick. Lose the butter, and you've got a healthy alternative that still tastes great! Add some chocolate chips or nuts, and you've got a homemade trail mix. The price is $2.25 for three packs, making this popcorn is a must.  

Almond Butter 

Tani Horton

Almond butter has taken the food industry by storm, as a healthy alternative that packs a lot of flavor. MaraNatha Creamy Almond Butter is by far my favorite. With a little bit of sea salt and perfect creamy texture, this almond butter is super versatile. Spread it on rice cakes, add to oatmeal, or eat it by itself: the possibilities are endless. While this may be one of the pricer items, it is still cheaper compared to other almond butters. This is definitely at the top of my list for best foods at Publix, despite being $7.75.  

Frozen Fruit 

Tani Horton

Dining hall food can be rough, especially the produce. Unfortunately there are no berries at Clemson, so I had to get creative. Frozen fruits are my new favorite, affordable, and long lasting grocery store purchase. Don't let your dining hall stop you from getting the best source of natural sugar. Publix's GreenWise Blueberries and Raspberries are their very own organic brand. These taste almost as good as fresh berries! Eat them straight from the freezer, or add to your oatmeal or granola. $3.95 each  

Kombucha

Tani Horton

Kombucha is definitely the trending beverage of 2018. The fermented drink serves as a healthy substitute to soda. Packed with probiotics, this beverage is tasty and gut healing. These are great to have in the fridge for any time of day. Suja Mixed Berry Kombucha comes in a pack of four. I bought them on sale for $7.79, which is a great deal for kombucha, as these probiotic drinks can get pricey. Be on the lookout as sometimes Publix does a BOGO on kombucha! 

Applesauce 

Tani Horton

Who wants to eat boring apple sauce, when GoGo Squeez makes apple sauce perfect for an on-the-go snack! These little packs come in handy in between classes or for breakfast in desperate times. With the only ingredient being apples, the applesauce isn't too sweet, and you can also get in part of your daily dose of fiber. A pack of four is $3.35, making it a great alternative when the fruit bowl is empty!  

Bars 

Tani Horton

Another KIND Bar product that doesn't disappoint. The KIND Healthy Grains Vanilla Blueberry contain five super grains: oats, millet, quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat. It's not too sweet, and just the right size. For $4.45 (and frequently on sale or even BOGO) for five bars, these bars get the job done.  

Avocados 

Tani Horton

The biggest trending superfood of 2018: the avocado. With your daily dose of healthy fats, avocados are super versatile and can be eaten plain jane or in addition to a meal. Once kept in the fridge, these babies can stay for quite some time. Publix has hass avocados for $1.69 each, but if you buy a pack of them, you will end up saving more!  

Hummus 

Tani Horton

Last, but certainly not least, hummus. I personally prefer Sabra Classic Hummus, as it has the perfect balance of flavors. Spread this on crackers, rice cakes, or veggies and you've got a perfect snack or side dish for dinner. Not to mention, chickpeas are loaded with benefits like, blood sugar control, protein, fiber, potassium, the list can go on and on! Publix carries this hummus for $4.75 for 10oz, which is a decent size.  

Shopping doesn't have to be budget breaking, when being sensible and knowing what items to splurge on. I personally believe in paying for healthier items now, rather than paying for it down the road (aka medical bills). Publix offers great sales, BOGO deals, and a selection of brands, keeping you full and nourished!