Everyone has their own opinion about where the best milkshake is from. We all have our personal favorites, but many of us haven't tried enough places to know if there's something better out there. Because of this, I compiled this list based on where I would be likely to go if I wanted a milkshake on a whim. I also thought about pricing, since I am a college student and it's important to save money. 

My friends and I decided to try milkshakes from multiple fast food establishments to determine which are the best. We ultimately ranked the milkshakes based on price, flavor variety, consistency, and taste. Find out which of the following are the best fast food milkshakes.

10. Five Guys

Five Guys shakes aren't bad at all. In fact, they're pretty delicious. They have a range of flavors from the simple to the more unexpected, like bacon. At $4.49 per milkshake, they run a bit high in price. For those of you who enjoy a milkshake at an almost soft-serve consistency, this is the shake for you. 

9. Wendy's

beer
Ashley Laurens

Wendy's is known for their thick milkshakes, or Frostys. They have their classic chocolate and vanilla milkshakes in four different sizes from jr. to large. Prices range from $0.99 to $2.29, so it's definitely on the lower side, budget-wise. Can't go wrong with a classic.

8. Arby's

chocolate, coffee, milk
Ashley Laurens

Arby's milkshakes are similar to Wendy's milkshakes. They have their classic flavors, vanilla and chocolate, and a special flavor, Jamocha. They have the same thick consistency as the others listed previously. They also offer three different sizes ranging in price from $1.99 to $2.99.

7. Shake Shack

Shake Shack has some amazing flavor choices, from seasonal flavors to the classics. Beyond those, they also have peanut butter, black and white, and salted caramel. Their milkshakes are smooth, creamy, and delicious. Shake Shack's shakes are a bit more on the expensive side though, at $5.79 for speciality and $5.29 for the originals. 

6. Burger King

Have you heard about their newest shake yet, the Dr. Pepper shake? If you haven't, you need to catch up. If you're not into trying that new combination out, there are plenty more options. Burger King has the favorites (vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry) and the speciality Oreo from small ($2.49) to large ($3.59) in size. Sometimes they have limited-time shake flavors, so make sure to keep up.

5. Burgerfi

ice, coffee, chocolate, cream, milk
Ashley Laurens

Burgerfi has some pretty good shakes. They aren't too thick, but they still have that creamy taste every milkshake needs. Burgerfi makes the classic milkshake, milkshake floats, and malts. They're a bit pricier ($4.97 for one size), which is about the size of a small at another milkshake place. 

4. Sonic Drive-In

Sonic shakes are great, but they aren't actually milkshakes though. Sonic technically classifies their "shakes" as ice cream. Might as well be a milkshake though since a lot of shakes on this list were as thick as soft serve. They do provide some unique flavors though, such as three different Oreo brand flavors. Their pricing is not bad as well, from mini ($1.99) to large ($4.59) you can't go wrong with Sonic.

3. Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen is a definite chain favorite. If you haven't tried a blizzard, you haven't lived yet. Trying a blizzard is a rite of passage, and they come in multiple flavors. They only have speciality flavors, from Oreo to chocolate chip cookie dough to banana split. DQ serves four different sizes, mini ($2.89) all the way up to large ($4.69).

2. Chick-fil-A

whipped cream, milk, cream
Ashley Laurens

Chick-fil-A is known for the creamy and classic flavors that are topped with whipped cream and a cherry. They definitely have the cheaper milkshakes and come in just two sizes, small ($2.79) and large ($3.25), but they still taste delicious. They only have four flavors—chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, and cookies & cream—but they have also been known to make a peppermint milkshake during the holidays.

1. Steak 'n Shake

Overall, Chick-fil-A and Steak 'n Shake were close contenders for the number one spot. Steak 'n shake won the top spot in my opinion because of the variety of flavors offered. With over 20 different flavors, ranging form the classic chocolate to specialty shakes inspired by iconic candy bars, it's a great reason for it to be the top choice. Also at a price of $3.69 a shake, it's pretty low on the price scale, so even better for our wallets.

If you're not into buying milkshakes and being adventurous, try out some of these tricks for taking your milkshake to the next level. You really can't go wrong with any of the shakes on this list though.